Active Topics

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Any others out there? Does xkbd work better, and if so, can fatalsaint compile it and put it in his repo?
I'll look into it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Gesture update: All the gestures work on the h-i-m keyboard except space.

It's almost like space has been disabled somehow... If you look at my screenshot above, the spacebar is grayed-out, like it is disabled. And the gesture doesn't work either. Stskeeps, does the spacebar work in your deblet version? Perhaps this is a problem with the example keyboard interfacing with the running OS2008 daemon...

I guess I can't include this in my Easy Debian. It's a shame; it would be very cool.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Aha! A clue! From here:

When you boot a device without pressing any button at a physical keyboard, X will not map the keycodes and modifiers. Without the modifiers the virtual keyboard matchbox-keyboard breaks when using 'Shift', 'Alt' or 'Caps'.

This patch adds a session file that maps the keycodes and modifiers with 'xmodmap' when loading X, fixing the matchbox-keyboard problem.
The suggested fix looks like the addition of the following codes to our .Xmodmap file:

Code:
add shift   = Shift_L Shift_R
add lock    = Caps_Lock
add control = Control_L Control_R
add mod1    = Alt_L
add mod2    = Num_Lock
add mod4    = Mode_switch
EDIT:
I saved this file as /home/user/.Xmodmap-keymap and added "xmodmap /home/user/.Xmodmap-keymap" as the first line of my Debian /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart file, and hey presto, matchbox-keyboard works flawlessly.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-14 at 18:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Good.. cuz xkbd worked like crap. I grabbed an ubuntu source 0.8.5.. it was the only source I could find... and trying to compile it there was problems in the Makefile regarding a "numsonly" binary... so I had to modify the Makefile and removed those just to get it to compile and install.. (which probably stopped some functionality.. like a 10-key or something)

after that it ran.. and appeared to work fine except various letters and keys aren't mapped correctly and instead print "o" and then repeat over and over again. There was a few warnings about the xmodmap not being in the correct format so I venture that it installs it's own xmodmap that needs to be modified.. but I'll stop working with it if H-I-M already works. Xkbd is a nightmare.

Originally Posted by qole View Post

Code:
add shift   = Shift_L Shift_R
add lock    = Caps_Lock
add control = Control_L Control_R
add mod1    = Alt_L
add mod2    = Num_Lock
add mod4    = Mode_switch
You are a bloody genius man an I love you!

Tags
debian, easy debian, lxde, xephyr, xvkbd