Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Now that people are starting to figure out how to hook various USB gadgets to the 770 I thought I'd start a list of known working peripherals. For the record:

TRENDnet TU-ET100C USB 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Works wonderfully as long as you have the pegasus.ko kernel module copied into the modules directory /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.12.3-omap1 It's somewhat of a trick to get the kernel compiled with the right gcc version so you don't have to force a load. Here's a link to it: http://lbattraw.home.insightbb.com/pegasus.ko
You will need to run as root: "insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.12.3-omap1/pegasus.ko" and then "ifconfig eth0 IP_Address netmask NETMASK broadcast BROADCAST_Address up"
Example: ifconfig 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up

2.5" SANMAX External Hard Drive Case
Works perfectly with no problems. You'll need to create a directory to mount it on and then "mount /dev/sda1 /mountdirectory_you_created"

BTC Ultra-Slim Multimedia Keyboard BTC 6100
Works flawlessly, plug and play with no other commands/etc. needed This is a great keyboard for the 770 since it only consumes about 5 mA of power! With plain-jane AAA rechargeable batteries (650 mAH NiMH) you can expect 130 hours of continuous use or 5.4 DAYS. At its thickest point it is roughly as thick as the 770 with its case on. I opened mine up and soldered wires to a 4-AAA battery pack to power it without needing a powered hub to make it work standalone with the 770.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by lbattraw
Now that people are starting to figure out how to hook various USB gadgets to the 770 I thought I'd start a list of known working peripherals. For the record:...
And you didn't put this info in the Wiki because.... ? ? ?

Well, yes, anybody can cut this and paste it, that's true...

Originally Posted by Remote User
And you didn't put this info in the Wiki because.... ? ? ?

Well, yes, anybody can cut this and paste it, that's true...
Just my one view, but I'd prefer this kind of posts to start out on the forum because the summary shows them on th iTT home page. Wiki posts don't and I have to go and look for them, which I honestly don't do.

I'm also a little bit wary about loads of content getting pushed into a Wiki without any indexing or editorial considerations, that leads to madness IMHO.

what hub are you using?

Works flawlessly, plug and play with no other commands/etc. needed.
Mm, so no external hub needed?

I mean it looks just like the keyboard-hacks with the hub in this thread, but if it would work without a hub, why is everyone making their hub-keyboard-wire-thingies then?

Im confused

Works flawlessly, plug and play with no other commands/etc. needed This is a great keyboard for the 770 since it only consumes about 5 mA of power! With plain-jane AAA rechargeable batteries (650 mAH NiMH) you can expect 130 hours of continuous use or 5.4 DAYS. At its thickest point it is roughly as thick as the 770 with its case on. I opened mine up and soldered wires to a 4-AAA battery pack to power it without needing a powered hub to make it work standalone with the 770.
http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-07keyboard.htm
it doesn't seem to be self powered and nokia 770 did not give power, so how the keyboard can found 50mA (not 5mA) ?

Edit : Ok, i understand what you say, with an hack, you can use this keyboard with battery. So this keyboard is not a working USB Peripheral because it does not work without modifications. There is maybe a USB keyboard which is self powered but not this one... Bluetooth keyboards are maybe the best solution right now (does not need to flash 770 in usb host mode)...

Last edited by daf; 2005-12-18 at 01:04.

As there have been several questions I'll attempt to answer them in this post in order.

Remote User: And you didn't put this info in the Wiki because.... ? ? ?
I've never entered content in a Wiki and didn't even think about it. Given the number of questions I'll probably try to explain things a little better before I try putting it in.

hobbes: what hub are you using?
A Cyberpower 4-port USB 2.0 powered hub. $20 at Walmart and very easy to modify since it snaps apart without screws.

tonberry1: Mm, so no external hub needed?
Yes and no :-) It can work without a hub or with a powered hub. I have added batteries and can use it without a hub as it will supply the necessary 5 volts to the 770 to let it know a USB device is plugged in as well as powering the keyboard. It's a bit neater that chopping cables up to hook up power. I disconnect the batteries when plugging it into the hub. People are going the modified cable route so they can plug in other devices besides a keyboard. In my case I've now modified a hub to supply power to the 770 so there's no need for cable modifications.

daf: Ok, i understand what you say, with an hack, you can use this keyboard with battery. So this keyboard is not a working USB Peripheral because it does not work without modifications.
See my previous answer-- it works without modifications with a powered hub. It was just more fun to avoid modifying cables.

Warning: not for the hot-glue-phobic. I needed some way to be able to transport and move around my rats-nest of peripherals without accidentally yanking out cables, tangling them, etc. See the pics of my hot glue-intensive solution. It includes an ethernet adapter, hub, multi-slot memory card reader, and 30G hard drive. Scarey, but it works just fine.

http://lbattraw.home.insightbb.com/770_glob_front.jpg
http://lbattraw.home.insightbb.com/770_glob_side.jpg
http://lbattraw.home.insightbb.com/770_glob_back.jpg

You'll see three cables emerging from it-- a power cable, a blue ethernet cable, and a USB cable going to the 770. Enjoy!

tonberry1: Mm, so no external hub needed?
Yes and no :-) It can work without a hub or with a powered hub. I have added batteries and can use it without a hub as it will supply the necessary 5 volts to the 770 to let it know a USB device is plugged in as well as powering the keyboard. It's a bit neater that chopping cables up to hook up power. I disconnect the batteries when plugging it into the hub. People are going the modified cable route so they can plug in other devices besides a keyboard. In my case I've now modified a hub to supply power to the 770 so there's no need for cable modifications.
Did you a post any pics of the modded KB?

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2005-12-22 at 21:01. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hahahah what about a good old cloth bag?

Are USB cables available that go from male to male peripheral-end-connector-type (that'll fit in the 770's female jack)?