Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
What I would like is a Maemo 5 release tracker bug in bugzilla, dependent on all the real bugs that are blocking the release, actual development in public, and frequent interim releases for testers. That's how a community OS does things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 175 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester UK
I agree - its not the delayed delivery that's upsetting me but the lack of CLEAR & CONCISE communication from Nokia - which is non existent and if we are lucky to get some then its very very vague and gets changed again!

The Following User Says Thank You to mchu6am4 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Pretty much, I understand why there's a delay but I would like to get a rough estimate and a hint as to what's causing the delay. Rather than just being left in the dark.

If I was a more spiteful person I'd recommend people away from Nokia products in the future. =P
I vowed not to buy a nokia phone some 3&1/2 years back, till the time I came to know about N900 and placed my pre-order via amazon. Seems like things didnt changed much since then apart from them having a winner in their kitty this time around.

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post

The trouble is, given the way rumours go round here, if they said "We realised there was a problem with the gobbryfux, so wanted to fix that before release" there'd be 150 reviews, tweets, posts all saying " OMG n900 is crap - it has a fault in the gobbryfux!!" So they keep their problems to themselves. That not bad marketing, but rather best possible, under the circumstances.

It would be lovely to live in a world where people like Nokia could be straight with their customers. But this isn't such a world. This is the Internet, land of gossip, rumour, damned lies and release dates.
I think the problem is that Nokia tries to market itself as open source, but part of being open source is just being open in general. Being transparent about bugs, issues, and involving the community if possible (through bug reports, suggestions, whatever).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
I'm almost positively sure that maybe Nokia is waiting for the 2,000,001th preorder to come in, so they can make a helluva press release claming a record.

I'm totally certain of the above, because my source proved to have a 100% track record for forecasts like this.

So, all the pre-order cancellers, get back on board this instant! We need you!

rfb

Ps.: after seeing this thread going bananas over the weekend, I've sent a tweet to Peter, that the press release should just say: "Yes, UK. We are shipping the Nokia N900 now." - and then all hell breaks loose.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by brog View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOW_IaB3S4c

let's all cancel our orders and get this one!
China at its best.

The trouble is, given the way rumours go round here, if they said "We realised there was a problem with the gobbryfux, so wanted to fix that before release" there'd be 150 reviews, tweets, posts all saying " OMG n900 is crap - it has a fault in the gobbryfux!!" So they keep their problems to themselves. That not bad marketing, but rather best possible, under the circumstances....
This shows only that someone at Nokia didn't understand what open software developement means.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Google. 'nuff said.

Yes, I've seen your anti-Google posts. Often avoiding answering follow-up questions as you seem to favor rumors and personal bias more than facts. Your posts are now to the point of 'trolling' and regurgitation so I'm adding you to my ignore list to atleast filter that noise out. No hard feelings, we all have our preferences - but maybe be a little bit more objective and honest in how we express them. Bye.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

They have been as transparent as they can. You are assuming that they know exactly when they will complete whatever sudden new demand Dr Jaaksi placed on them. I suspect they are working flat out for a 'final frontier' firmware for release... and don't actually know when it will be done.

The trouble is, given the way rumours go round here, if they said "We realised there was a problem with the gobbryfux, so wanted to fix that before release" there'd be 150 reviews, tweets, posts all saying " OMG n900 is crap - it has a fault in the gobbryfux!!" So they keep their problems to themselves. That not bad marketing, but rather best possible, under the circumstances.

It would be lovely to live in a world where people like Nokia could be straight with their customers. But this isn't such a world. This is the Internet, land of gossip, rumour, damned lies and release dates.

You have a 'rough estimate' - November!
Like they did last month " End October", and will like to check back to see your response if its changed to " End December" sometime in early december.

At least they owe to reach out to people who pre-ordered with some tentative timelines if not reasons for delay.

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Never understood why Android is lumped in with MS and Apple - and considered 'dark side'. Android is darn good.
1) Android does not give you privileged user access (there are ways to break the lock, but it is an 'illegal' procedure)
2) You must have a Google account.
3) You must develop in Java, for their specific virtual machine

I am sure points 2 and 3 will be bypassed by creative individuals, sooner or later, as point 1 has been bypassed. But those limits should never have been there in the first place. If people want to keep their personal data in Google's computers, this is fine for me, but it should not be compulsory. I for one prefer to manage my own mail at home.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fluido For This Useful Post:

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange