Hi. I'm attempting to clone my N810 OS by following the howto on http://wiki.maemo.org/Booting_from_a_flash_card , but the phase 2 of nupgrade.sh fails. I have tracked it down to the following issue:

Code:
# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
mount: mounting of /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /opt failed
I've created the partition through USB connection to my notebook. The notebook is able to mount this partition (formatted as ext2). What could cause the above issue (the message itself is not very descriptive)?

The Following User Says Thank You to stefanmajewsky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by stefanmajewsky View Post
What could cause the above issue (the message itself is not very descriptive)?
You either forgot to insert ext2.ko kernel module or insmod command failed.

run something like
Code:
for m in mbcache ext2 ; do insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/${m}.ko ; done
mount -t ext2 -o noatime /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
also check if /dev/mmcblk0p2 exists, if not, reboot first to let the system refresh partition table

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-10-30 at 11:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
lsmod mentions both ext2 and mbcache, so the modules are loaded. Reboot did not help. The only thing I did not try yet is to mount with noatime option as you mentioned, but that does not help either.

Update: I have reformatted the partition with mke2fs on the tablet's terminal, but the result is still the same.

Last edited by stefanmajewsky; 2008-10-30 at 13:21.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
So does /dev/mmcblk0p2 exist?
Code:
ls -l /dev/mmcblk0p2
Can you post full log of your terminal session (mke2fs, mount)? It is easy to do if you do it over ssh. Also output of
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
and possible errors in kernel log
Code:
dmesg
after trying the mount could help in diagnosing the issue

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Strange... it had ext2 and mbcache loaded in previous sessions (without me inserting it manually), but now it hadn't. That was causing the issue, still thanks for your help.