Active Topics

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, this is known issue. You may check beginning of this thread for more details.
In view of the wlan and D-button problems on the 2007 mmc clone, I think I'll give up on using it and remove it from the mmc and reformat the card to gain use of the entire mmc for file storage purposes. I think I'll retain the bootmenu, though, for possible future use if I choose to clone the present 2008 firmware if and when new firmware is released, correcting all the present bugs being detected. I may have to acquire an additional card to do so, but by then the prices will really have dropped. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by tolou View Post
Soo, what about a dual boot with OS2007? Is there a way to perhaps modify OS2007 kernels to the updated versions of WLAN modules to get online with OS2007 as well? Once over this obstacle I´ve no plans for going back, soo...
One more thought. Is the OS2008 perhaps backwards compatible and what if I were to re-install a earlier version of initsfs with a bootloader for OS2007, will the OS2008 be able to boot on that?
A long shot maybe after having read the boot issues above but might be worth a try don´t you think?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ La Pêche, Québec, Canada
Is anyone except me actually having no problem with initfs_flasher and latest 2008 firmware?
I am using your latest version, and have no problem with either OS2008beta or OS2008 clones (on a N800)

Robert B.

After installing init_flasher, I get the "Press Menu to activate boot menu" message for like a half a second and it immediately goes to booting from flash. No pressing of menu or any key seems to affect it. I wonder if the problem is that I upgraded the OS to Nokia's latest fix level after unpacking my N810 on Dec 30. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

hmm... iwhen removing "extra stuff" the shell text says "extracting boot menu files for initfs version osso-RX-44.2007-49..." Should that be 2008?

Thanks
Frank

Last edited by FGol; 2008-01-03 at 00:22.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by FGol View Post
After installing init_flasher, I get the "Press Menu to activate boot menu" message for like a half a second and it immediately goes to booting from flash. No pressing of menu or any key seems to affect it. I wonder if the problem is that I upgraded the OS to Nokia's latest fix level after unpacking my N810 on Dec 30. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

hmm... iwhen removing "extra stuff" the shell text says "extracting boot menu files for initfs version osso-RX-44.2007-49..." Should that be 2008?

Thanks
Frank
No 2007 is correct but the newest OS is 50-2 not 49-18/19.

I've flashed my N810 after the OS2008 50-2 upgrade and the only way to get it to boot from my new clone was to add the bootmenu.conf file to the init_flasher directory and then rerun/rebuild ( # ./initfs_flash ).

There are some samples included in the init_flasher tarball for the 770 & 800. There appears to be a bug in the 810s find out more here.

Here's what my bootmenu.conf looks like:
Code:
# bootmenu customisation file
#
# included from bootmenu.sh after default menu is defined
# you can change some items or redefine menu completely

# timeout for automatic selection when no key is pressed
# set to -1 for no timeout (not recommended, can drain battery when device reboots unatteded)
MENU_TIMEOUT=3

# IP address for USB networking
USB_IP=192.168.1.2

# dim screen when in menu
#/usr/sbin/dsmetest -l 1

# menu items
MENU_MIN=1 # first item index

#no need to redefine
#MENU_1_NAME="Internal flash"
#MENU_1_ID="flash"

MENU_2_NAME="Internal MMC, partition 2, ext2"
MENU_2_ID="mmc2"
MENU_2_DEVICE="mmcblk1p2"
MENU_2_MODULES="mbcache ext2"
MENU_2_FSTYPE="ext2"
MENU_2_FSOPTIONS="noatime"

MENU_3_NAME="External MMC card, partition 2, ext3"
MENU_3_ID="mmc12"
MENU_3_DEVICE="mmcblk0p2"
MENU_3_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
MENU_3_FSTYPE="ext3"
MENU_3_FSOPTIONS="noatime" #",data=writeback"

MENU_4_NAME="Power off (when not on charger)"
MENU_4_ID="off"

#last item index, change if you add/remove items
MENU_MAX=4

Last edited by PinCushionQueen; 2008-01-03 at 00:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Thank you PCQ. Yes, I had updated a /home/user/initfs_flasher/bootmenu.conf and rebuilt. This time I copied your text directly into the N810, made it the bootmenu.conf, rebuilt again, rebooted and no affect. I don't get the menu at all. I can update the message the shell puts out so I know it's running; it just doesn't seem to recognize or react to the menu button.

??

Thank you,
Frank

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
it just doesn't seem to recognize or react to the menu button.
Yes, this is a bug and I think I know how to fix it. Sorry, it is hard to spot such bugs without having N810. Meanwhile as a workaround you can force the menu to appear everytime by running
Code:
chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:mmc2
as root on your tablet. The 'ask' part is important, mmc2 is preselected choice.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
No 2007 is correct but the newest OS is 50-2 not 49-18/19.
initfs partition has its own version numbering and it can be shared between various firmware releases so version of firmware (50-2 in this case) does not matter for initfs flasher (and is not checked). The only thing that matters is content of /mnt/initfs/etc/initfs_version.

Also the flasher should always refuse to modify unknown (newer) initfs. With every new firmware release I need to check it and see if it needs different patch or I can make an alias (soft link) to any older one.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Yes, this is a bug and I think I know how to fix it. Sorry, it is hard to spot such bugs without having N810. Meanwhile as a workaround you can force the menu to appear everytime by running
Code:
chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:mmc2
as root on your tablet. The 'ask' part is important, mmc2 is preselected choice.
Excellent -- thank you. That forces the menu and the preselected mmc2 boot. I guess moving the menubar via up and down hardware presses fails also due to the same problem as the menu key?

Thank you,
Frank

I guess moving the menubar via up and down hardware presses fails also due to the same problem as the menu key?
No, D-pad arrows in menu should work. Make sure you got latest version, this was fixed recently (2 weeks?).

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz - 349993 bytes

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-01-03 at 14:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: