Active Topics

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Oh, I've overlooked the over-excitement today!. I'm so glad.

Anyway, since I really wish to see some announcement regarding to Flash 10.1. I have to say this is great news indeed. No hype on me.. sorry for being objective

Last edited by devu; 2010-07-24 at 01:30.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Glasgow
Whee:

ISO 100, tweaked the colour to make it a little warmer. I like this

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sdstrowes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by zimmerit View Post
Has this publication something to do with this?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNLDE63J15F20100420

Maybe Mr. Vanjoki exaggregated bit, but this seems cool though.
That piece of news is originally written by some ****** "journalist" and it was quoted at many sites. Person who was listening to Vanjoki's presentation told that he was pointing a photographer with a huge lens attached to his camera. People laughed, since it was a joke.

End of off-topic. This release really is something that fits to concept on N900.

I just can't believe it, fcam is the "exciting news"??? I love my N900 but come on who can disagree with me when i say Nokia just have no clue, the OS has soooo many simple bugs that could be fixed, really small ones that don't bother me much but would make the phone just that bit better... Instead it's as if they trawled this forum to find the thing least complained about and then fixed that!?!?!?

The camera? Of all things to get our hopes up about! AAAaaaargh!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sdstrowes View Post
I did play around with this before leaving the office. Manual focus allows me to do weird stuff like this:
So far, it's starting to sound a lot like Camera360 on the Android. Does it do color shifting, vignettes, lomo, commercial color enhance, HDR, long exposure, artistic modes (sketch, fisheye lens, symmetry, etc), tilt-shift effect (one of the coolest effects for scenery!), etc? If they married the N900 with a REALLY good program like Camera360 on Maemo (which what you're describing seems to so far sound like), that's a HUGE win!

Is there somewhere I can read up on this camera app?

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
I just can't believe it, fcam is the "exciting news"??? I love my N900 but come on who can disagree with me when i say Nokia just have no clue, the OS has soooo many simple bugs that could be fixed, really small ones that don't bother me much but would make the phone just that bit better... Instead it's as if they trawled this forum to find the thing least complained about and then fixed that!?!?!?

The camera? Of all things to get our hopes up about! AAAaaaargh!
Wellllll... yah, you're right.. but this is still a pretty big win, I think. You wouldn't know how awesome this could be unless you've had your hands on an excellent camera application the way I did with the Camera360 app. I'm glad to see the N900 has more than just a fundamental snapshot application--just hoping it's competing with the best of the Android apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by agg1n View Post
i love to play around with that 'point focus'!
Only an hour to go in work and I think I will be spending it in low light halls playing with point focus.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Glasgow
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
So far, it's starting to sound a lot like Camera360 on the Android. Does it do color shifting, vignettes, lomo, commercial color enhance, HDR, long exposure, artistic modes (sketch, fisheye lens, symmetry, etc), tilt-shift effect (one of the coolest effects for scenery!), etc? If they married the N900 with a REALLY good program like Camera360 on Maemo (which what you're describing seems to so far sound like), that's a HUGE win!

Is there somewhere I can read up on this camera app?
It doesn't do most of those things (it does do HDR and long exposure), but it does expose focus controls, colour warmth, etc. I've seen panoramas mentioned, but if it's there, I don't see how to do it. And there are other settings I don't understand, yet. This is basically an example application using the API to access the camera hardware they've developed as part of a research project, and I suspect most of the other features you mention wouldn't be difficult to implement from this starting point.

This is a really cool release, and it stands to get better if people can contribute back to it. There is some info on this available here: http://fcam.garage.maemo.org/

Hopefully we can build on this. The built-in camera app isn't all too great. This release takes us a step in the correct direction!

The Following User Says Thank You to sdstrowes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
about the panorama app:

Hi Ioan,

I asked around. The guys at Nokia Research who did the panorama app are still refining it, and are planning to release it in the Ovi store this fall. So it's not yet available, unfortunately.

- Andrew

> Hi,
> I'm enjoing the "The Frankencamera" application, thank for making this API available to us, the N900 community.
> In the video demonstration, I saw a panorama application running on N900, is that available? Can I get it somewhere?
>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by sdstrowes View Post
I did play around with this before leaving the office. Manual focus allows me to do weird stuff like this:[/IMG][/URL]
you can do this with the default n900 camera app too.
just focus your hand close to the camera, take hand away, take photo.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Stanford University
Hey everyone,

I'm one of the developers on the FCam project, and I'm pretty excited to get the whole API out to the N900 community.

This is a joint project between our research group at Stanford University and Nokia Research Center Palo Alto, which started out a couple years back. Most of the development work on FCam has been done at Stanford, with lots of testing and app development on the Nokia Research side.

Just a few quick links for those interested in FCam and FCamera:

FCam webpage
FCam garage project page
Stanford PR

A few notes on crashes:

We didn't know about Titan's kernel before this morning, and it looks like fcam-driver conflicts with it - we'll add that as a conflict until we sort out why the two don't coexist.

Make sure you reboot before running fcamera - the drivers won't load until the next restart of the phone. We're going to update fcamera to make the error message clearer later today, to make it clearer what's going on.

Please report bugs to our forum or bug tracker, please, so we can get them fixed! You can find both at the Maemo garage page.

Thanks for trying it out, we're hoping lots of cool apps come out this.

The Following 116 Users Say Thank You to ETalvala For This Useful Post:
ajax1, alienhead, AlMehdi, anders_gud, Ard_, ARJWright, attila77, Average Joe, Ayle, ayos!, benny1967, Berserk, Bingley Joe, branek, buurmas, casper27, ceevee, cfh11, Chrome, clasificado, clearorca, coreyoconnor, craftyguy, Crashdamage, danramos, daperl, DaSilva, datjomp, dave1010, Deaconclgi, dee, DeeGee, deegore, devu, Dousan, DrWilken, efekt, erniadeldesktop, esiravegna, fnordianslip, generationally, Helmuth, HtheB, HugoSon, iagamy, inkirby, ioan, jacktanner, jakiman, javispedro, jd4200, jjx, joelus, jorjino, joshv06, juahan, jurop88, kevloral, kolos, lbp775, logicalsid, magnunor, magnuslu, Maj3stic, maluka, Mara, Marklar, mathiasp, max_power, mece, Mentalist Traceur, Milhouse, mivoligo, moepda, nashith, nath, Nathraiben, ndi, Netweaver, nidO, Nikem, nikolajhendel, NokiaRocks, osama, ossipena, OVK, parasight, pavlik, pthomas22, quipper8, rainmaster, Rauha, RobbieThe1st, rofo1000, sachin007, schnaffs, scribbles, sdstrowes, sela, Sevanteri, shadowjk, sjgadsby, sky4vip, sregular, strank, Switch_, theflew, Tiboric, Tomaszd, unsane, vkv.raju, voracity, wmarone, wotevah, xuggs, zimmerit

Tags
announced, color you loser, fail!, guessed wrong, misstep, riddle me this, you dun goofed