Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Los Angeles, California
Version 5.2008.43-7 N800

What is approximate normal life of battery when both off line and in stand by mode?
Off line with no bluetooth or wifi, screen locked no email, etc. If I remember right my old battery would last for days 6+. New official Nokia battery max is 2 days with no use. My old battery started lasting only 1 day, so I got a new one. New battery is almost no better, 2 days. Now I think this may have to do with OS 2008. N800 will sing out a tune and state low battery. After awhile will shut down. Seems to charge normal.
What is approximate normal life of battery when both off line and in stand by mode?
See my update post #20 below.

Last edited by tktim; 2009-06-10 at 20:41.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Average battery life when on stand by (there's no real standby mode on the tablet, it's just consuming very little battery while idle) is around seven to ten days. IIRC some people even reported a battery life of > 14 days.
If your tablet is not even remotely reaching this value, then it's most likely a software issue, e.g. a process running on the tablet that wakes up the CPU regularly to do some work. A tablet without 3rd party software shouldn't show this behavior.

I suspect the reason for such short times is leaving GPS/BT enabled and that the hw remains powered up even when subsequently disabled, in which case one or more reboots are needed to get the hw powered down again. Any way to prove this?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Los Angeles, California
Thanks for replies.

No gps (N800)

Installed Applications:

mCalendar 0.4.5.1 khertan.net
map 2.2.8.604-1 wayfinder.com
fbreader 0.10.7.1 fbreader.org
libzlibrary 0.10.7-1 fbreader.org
liblinebreak 1.0-1 eugene v. lyubimkin jackyf.devel@gmail.com

handwriting calculator 0.9 (Nokia.com) Multimodal & Multi-media User Interactions, NRC Beijing
tutorial-home-applet 0.5.3 Nokia.com
Camera 3.5 Nokia.com
OS2008 feature upgrade 5.2008.43-7 Nokia

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Your battery life is definitively not normal.
I get 3 days with moderate use and a lot of stand-by, so probably more than 5 days with no use at all ...

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nottingham
what do you mean by standby mode? online but "inactive"?

my battery life is very bad, when connected to my home network it can flatten the battery in eight hours. When off-line is several days. I don't know whether to reflash the device to remove third-party apps, or to assume it's my new SMC wireless router (wireless-N), or the amount of traffic on my network. On other wifi access points it lasts better that at home. I have been told a wireless device receives and discards any packets not intended for it, i.e. if there is serious traffic to another client, the n800 works quite hard to inspect and discard them all.

Standby mode : offline + locked (in my vocabulary)

You say :
"my battery life is very bad, when connected to my home network it can flatten the battery in eight hours. When off-line is several days."

But this is perfectly normal, and it is a VERY GOOD battery life for such a device.

Try to find another PDA that can last so long connected in WIFI even with the screen off ... And I suppose that if you keep your tablet connected, it means that you have somme app or applet running on it, checking things on the web ...

Sorry to say it this way, but ... welcome to reality !!!
Mobile devices usually have very short battery life ...

Last edited by totololo; 2009-05-26 at 14:06.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nottingham
I don't agree, it used to be better. I had this n800 since early 2007 (when released). My Internet tablet used to be connected to the Internet, and mostly idle, for days. It would be periodically updating RSS, connected to IM, checking IMAP e-mail. Nothing taxing. It might as well be powered-down as offline and locked. It's not a PDA, it's an Internet tablet device.

Last edited by ptaffs; 2009-05-26 at 15:35.

Ptaffs,

I have mine since only 5 weeks ... so it's difficult to compare. I still think that your present battery life is very good ... especially if you have applets checking internet periodically. But if you say it was better ... I'm happy to trust you ! I didn't know that our tablets were so power efficient !

However, if you own the device since almost 2 years now, your battery may need to be replaced to get all of its great battery life back.

The Following User Says Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post:
Mine have also a low duration of the battery, I guess it is due to he 2008 OS, cause I never had such problems with 2007 OS and even with the N770 which have the same battery.