Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
I would never try and dictate how a donated device is use. However I have very little interest in helping to foster more android development. I can clearly see the advantages of getting AnBox running on sailfish/maemo or whatever. But it's my belief that by continuing to push this as a solution we're missing opportunities to build up an open and vast ecosystem. Think of were we could have been if qt on maemo, BB10, meego, tizen and ubport all had easily ported apps and even shared stores.

I'm very thankful for all that have or will work on porting OS, updating software and keeping the maemo OS alive.

But I think perhaps a vote or at least how donated (community purchase) device will be priorities. By doing this every one can be sure they understand if they want to support something or not. And lastly no one can complain later (oh right of course ppl will still complain )

I'm super excited about how much steam maemo, sailfish, postmark, ubport and the many other OS that are getting the attention they should have years ago.

This is not a criticism of anyone or anything ... more how to avoid and manage expectation.

What do you lovely folks think?

Oh and hot dam maemo on pro1!! I image duo booting is in my future!

x

Last edited by xman; 2020-01-22 at 21:59. Reason: autocorrect

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Btw, speaking of maemo on pro1, did you guys see the teams great talk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heQmjP5tQn0

Sorry if it's cross post, but thought it was on topic and maybe people aren't following the leste posts.

x

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Jan 2016 @ Münsterland, Germany
It's here. It's in my hands now. I (almost) can't believe it. Thank you Chen!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to xelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
I finally got around finishing the review I had written . http://matland.be/?p=things&s=pro1review

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by netman View Post
I finally got around finishing the review I had written . http://matland.be/?p=things&s=pro1review
Great review. Thanks

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Nice review.

Also I think it's time to make new subforum in devices group

PS I received my phone, unboxing at evening

Last edited by Trzyzet; 2020-01-24 at 11:37.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
[Upstreaming]
The PostmarketOS wiki provides a detailed and in-depth "Mainlining Guide".
While it focuses on practically making a mainline kernel boot, I have not seen such a structured and comprehensive guidance WRT mainlining a device ("platform") support before.

Happy coding!
So go for it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
My Pro1 arrived today. I have not had to time to even turn it on but I have to say that I am really impressed with the build quality. This phone feels like a metal brick, in a good way.

The package had a pouch but not the earphones (I am a preorderer). Not a big deal, I probably would not have used those anyway.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
I probably would not have used those anyway.
You would be delivered with a pair some time later.
But if you do not use them anyway, i heard of people that canceled them via email to service to not produce waste

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
You would be delivered with a pair some time later.
But if you do not use them anyway, i heard of people that canceled them via email to service to not produce waste
Why not just give them to someone as gift if not needing it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit