Jolla's latest mobile OS upgrade focuses on the basics
Sailfish OS is adding features you may take for granted elsewhere.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/12/...on-the-basics/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
Is there any known issues with android apps? Especially Whatsapp or Hike Messenger?
I had some problems in WhatsApp not showing pictures took with a camera after this update.

But... This update rocks. GUI is much smoother, Browser too, Camera makes the photos faster and the response time of the device is much better! Great job, Jolla!

Best regards,

Jaracz

Nokia 5110 --> Nokia 3210 --> Nokia 8210 --> Nokia 7250i --> Nokia 6500 Slide --> Nokia N97 mini --> Nokia N9 --> BB Z30 --> Jolla C

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaracz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
Jolla's latest mobile OS upgrade focuses on the basics
Sailfish OS is adding features you may take for granted elsewhere.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/12/...on-the-basics/
Yep, that's a real problem.
Though, I can't let the excuse count that Jolla is small. Many of the essential stuff still not implemented already existed e.g. in Meego and is available in iOS & Android since years, often available as Opensource.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Ok, sorry for sounding like an unreflected fanboy but how awesome is font size change?
Such a tiny feature completely explains the beautitude of the overall UI.
I was not really missing it but now that i set Fontsize to very big for my near 40 year old eyes the whole "screenestate" paradigm makes more sense then ever:
"Hey look, i am more readable to you now but am still able to present all necessary info while still looking 100% familiar".
No awkward clipping in any native app. Very thought through.
I showed the updated J1 to my tech savey homies again after long time and they where most impressed by the fact that the update speeds up overall UX on 3 years old HW.
Please keep it coming. I have a feeling of turning tides for the first time since i bought any Jolla device.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-02-14 at 15:17. Reason: LOL Freud made turning tides into turing tides LOL

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
for me, app grid is only available from home. Swipe up in apps just scrolls if there is something to scroll through or does nothing.
but it works for app that support landscape.
and in landscape I cant swipe to home, only to events

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
for me, app grid is only available from home. Swipe up in apps just scrolls if there is something to scroll through or does nothing.
You have to swipe starting from the screen bezel (outside of the LCD screen) and if this is not working for you then you might ****ed it up with some patches and need to reinstall lipstick.

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
You have to swipe starting from the screen bezel (outside of the LCD screen) and if this is not working for you then you might ****ed it up with some patches and need to reinstall lipstick.

and it doesn't work without patches. And it worked before with patches.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Yep, that's a real problem.
Though, I can't let the excuse count that Jolla is small. Many of the essential stuff still not implemented already existed e.g. in Meego and is available in iOS & Android since years, often available as Opensource.
Sailfish OS is not based on MeeGo, you know - Harmattan is still in the evil paws of Nokia Corp.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Anyone had any success with updating a community port device to 2.1 yet? I'm considering just going for it on my Nexus 5. I didn't wait for confirmed successes to try 2.0.5.6, but I have a feeling this is a little bit more than an incremental update.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Sailfish OS is not based on MeeGo,
Well, Sailfish OS does use a lot of components that were originally developed or selected at MeeGo, like Ofono, Maliit, MIC, RPM, systemd, Qt based UI.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
you know - Harmattan is still in the evil paws of Nokia Corp.
Harmattan wasn't really that much MeeGo based - it had some components from it but IMHO it was closer to a final generation of Maemo - for example it still used deb packages and upstart.

And for sure there was a substantial amount of system components and default applications that were and remained proprietary.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sfos upgrade