Nvidia recently released their handheld game platform called shield. IT looks pretty good. It has a decent selection of tegra games, controller supporting games, and of course emulators. Being based on Tegra means that Linux for Tegra will probably be available for it. In theory you could run Dingux or Angstrom on it. The price is 300 USD which compared to similar phones or tablets it is significantly cheaper.
http://shield.nvidia.com/portable-features/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7190/n...-mobile-gaming
I just might pick one up.

Maybe not a fair comparison but compared to Pandora it seems significantly better and it costs less too.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Lol, 300, you ppl have too much disposable income...
Buy a psp or a ds..
I get the point of ouya... This i dont get?
I think it will flop...
Pandora is like a N900 with no sim(i think).
This is a weak overpriced psp clone.

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Lol, 300, you ppl have too much disposable income...
Buy a psp or a ds..
I get the point of ouya... This i dont get?
I think it will flop...
Pandora is like a N900 with no sim(i think).
This is a weak overpriced psp clone.
300 dollars is a lot of money for a device? Most smartphones with similar specs are 500-800 dollars. A PSP or DS is underpowered by comparison and doesn't allow homebrews and emulators. How is it overpriced it has excellent specs and an excellent controller with very good controls. PSP clone? The shield looks and functions differently than the PSP does.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
your confussing a portable gaming device with a mobile phone.

300 for a new phone, yes.. on the cheap side.
300 for a portable gamming device.... that is powered by a mobile phone CPU/GPU... sorry mate.. doesn't sound like a good deal.

I can bet you tha the psvita is twice the better console with more games and cheaper! I don't know about the DS, but would rather a DS over this thing!

My old psp has emulators.. it's a mater of time before the vita is hacked.. also the vita has a good indie dev program if your keen lol.

If you buy one, don't open it, it'll be worth 10x in 10years when they only make 1 batch lol

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
your confussing a portable gaming device with a mobile phone.
What exactly am I confusing? I said it was cheap compared to similarly specked devices, which it is.

300 for a new phone, yes.. on the cheap side.
300 for a portable gamming device.... that is powered by a mobile phone CPU/GPU... sorry mate.. doesn't sound like a good deal.
300 dollars for any device with a Quad Core Cortex A15 is a pretty good deal. Compared to other mobile CPUS it is years ahead. The Vita is still using a Cortex A9 Architecture.
I can bet you tha the psvita is twice the better console with more games and cheaper! I don't know about the DS, but would rather a DS over this thing!
The Vita has a very small game library and can't run any homebrew. The DS sucks and by the way the Shield can emulate the DS
My old psp has emulators.. it's a mater of time before the vita is hacked.. also the vita has a good indie dev program if your keen lol.
Your old PSP also limited hardware and has limitations on what emulators it can run. That is why I am buying a shield I don't want to wait for the Vita to be hacked. It has been nearly 2 years since the Vita was released and so far it has not been hacked clearly Sony did something to make it hard
If you buy one, don't open it, it'll be worth 10x in 10years when they only make 1 batch lol
I don't get why the device would increase in value. Also keeping in the box keeps you from playing the games and emulators.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2013-08-04 at 07:04.