Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
if world was just that easy "just add swipe UI". You would not "just add" anything to that cluster **** that the OS had morphed to over the years. Symbian was long dead and Nokia had poured enough of money at it.
Remember that we are talking exclusively super cheap phones here at 40 euros to something like 130 euros.
symbian is dead but there are many fans and users all over the world that makes it perfect alternative for ur super cheap fones
Imagine an e-series fone or nokia 5800 at the price of asha.
And yeah swipe ui wont come to a super cheap fone.
What nokia is trying to do with asha series is desperately
fighting low cost android fones so that cash keeps flowing becoz windows fone aint working.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
symbian is dead but there are many fans and users all over the world that makes it perfect alternative for ur super cheap fones
Imagine an e-series fone or nokia 5800 at the price of asha.
And yeah swipe ui wont come to a super cheap fone.
What nokia is trying to do with asha series is desperately
fighting low cost android fones so that cash keeps flowing becoz windows fone aint working.
actually thats smart by nokia for once. IF they add swipe, and even better qtquick, they may very well take users from android at lowend. Simply because S40 less resource hungry than android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
You got it.

The team that Elop acquired over a year ago are still working in a silo away from the Nokia bureaucracy on SmarterphoneOS (of course, it will be re-branded when Nokia come to release it). The OS is intended to completely replace S40 which isn't fit for purpose anymore (Nokia know Asha sales will take a pasting as Android/WP get cheaper and cheaper). Like Blackberry 10, the aim of this device is to get very tight social networking integration (i.e. the unified notification center) with a much more fluid UI (S40 like Symbian was just never designed to work with touch devices). Like the Asha series, the device will occupy the price point between Series 30 phones (~$20) and Windows Phones ($150+) and will continue to be marketed at developing markets. I believe that the plan is to unveil a device running this OS at Nokia World 2013 this September.

Elop isn't a complete fool. He knows that the creaky Series 40 OS is on its last legs and that developing market consumers will just move to cheap Android phones if nothing is done. Windows Phone is not an option for Nokia. A licence for the OS is $25 alone and WP just won't scale to a lower-end device anyway. The only option for Nokia is SmarterphoneOS (or whatever Nokia will end up calling it).

All will come clear during Nokia World 2013.
The only thing I was wrong on was that I thought that Nokia would unveil the device in Q3 rather than Q2.

I am guessing that Nokia got such a scare from the collapse in S40 sales in Q1 of this year that they made a big push to bring the new OS forward.

Now - does anyone want to apologise to me for being so correct on this?

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post: