Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
This forum was missing something vital.

A complete thread with solutions to your problems!
Please help us build it by posting your problem and how you managed to fix it. You can either post a link to a thread, or you can post a reply, step by step, with pictures (best if you do this, but not mandatory).

Still in progress...
IMPORTANT NOTE!

INSURANCE FOR YOUR PHONE! As you know, the insurance companies and some mobile phones store offer insurance for your phone. So for a small monthly fee, your phone gets premium insurance policy, that will fix whatever warranty can't fix. Even in case of burglary your phone will get replaced with a new one. So, you accidentally break your screen, insurance will cover it, break the USB port, insurance will cover it, the GSM is no longer working, insurance will cover it.

Here is Orange insurance for my country: ORANGE INSURANCE

You can search on google your local stores/insurance companies that offer services in your area, and for a small fee (in my case 3 euros/month for a 250 euros smartphone device).

BUT BE CAREFUL AND READ THE CONTRACT FIRST WITH MAXIMUM ATTENTION. NOT ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES COVERS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!
1. Introduction

What to check before buying a new Nokia N900 handheld device:

• Major scratches on the screen
  • If the slider is okay (not too lose)
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capability
  • IR Port capability
  • Accelerometer functioning properly
  • Camera flash
  • Light sensor and proximity sensor
  • Open terminal and type "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and check revision ( since 2101 and 2104 are factory faulty - not all of them so you need to check the following 2 steps if the revision version is 2101 and 2104)
  • MicroUSB port (check for it not to be loose and work properly)
  • GSM Driver (by applying pressure in corners or keyboard and see if the GSM signals fail - the "E" key is close to the chip, check that zone first)

KNOWN BUGS/WARANTY PROBLEMS RELATED TO N900 DEVICES:

Nokia often offers new N8 or E7 devices as warranty replacements for N900s. Although warranty terms and consumer rights legislation differ across jurisdictions, users have reported success in refusing those and pressing for an N900 in at least the EU and India as recently as August 2011. Owners who are not confident of getting an N900 as a warranty replacement often attempt to repair their own devices, or sell the Nokia-provided replacement to buy an N900 instead.

The N900's proximity sensor, which is designed to lock the touch screen when the phone is against the user's ear to prevent accidental operation, locks the screen unintentionally in bright light (usually outdoors) when a call is placed or received. Nokia has acknowledged that it is a "hardware issue" and cannot be addressed. To unlock the screen in a phone call, a tactile unlock switch in the right side of the device can be used. This however will keep the touch screen active and accidental operation of the phone keys in a call may occur when device is used as a handset. This issue has been blamed on the application of screen protectors, however N900 users without screen protectors are also experiencing the problem.

Also the N900's MicroUSB (charger) port is very fragile. Some people have successfully fixed this problem with either epoxy glue or soldering the USB port down on the motherboard.

Also the SIM-card reader might be badly soldered to the board. Multiple N900 devices are troubled by the problem that the SIM-card cannot be detected anymore. Users may be able to fix this by putting something between the GSM related chips and their cover.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900

Enjoy your new N900 DEVICE! If any more problems appear, you should read the lists below.

2. Software problems (Flashing/Applications related)

2.1 Common problems

2.1.1 Micro USB port problems:
Fix before is too late: #LINK1, #LINK2
Possible fix after it's broken or damaged: #LINK1, #LINK2

2.1.2 GSM Driver (All telephony functions disabled due to a communication error)
Temporary fix: #LINK1, #LINK2
Permanent fix: The permanent fix solution is going to cost you. You should take the phone to a local computer service for a REFLOW process for the GSM Chips. The best method is to do a REBALL for the GSM driver. The REFLOW might cost about ~25 EUR, and the REBALL about ~50 EUR.

2.1.3 Phone got wet, how to dry it to avoid any damage!
Solutions: #LINK1, #LINK2, #LINK3, #LINK4

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

2.2 Unique problems
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

3. Hardware problems (Diagnostics/Possible Fix related)

3.2 Common problems
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

3.2 Unique problems
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-06-25 at 18:10. Reason: Insurance information added!

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Uh, why not make this thread a "link hub" with all the links for problems that have been solved and include detailed information on how it was fixed - and maybe some WIKI links for the most common stuff (flashing, etc).

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

The Following User Says Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RiD View Post
Uh, why not make this thread a "link hub" with all the links for problems that have been solved and include detailed information on how it was fixed - and maybe some WIKI links for the most common stuff (flashing, etc).
Or this... But the links we provide must be a REAL, TESTED solution that worked for at least 1-2 users. Where should we begin and how?

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Brescia, Italy
I think you can begin with linking/explaining how to solve the broken usb port problem (soldering, glue)... It's a common problem with the n900 and many users have tried it. Another could be how to get devoce working when you get it wet (sorry for bad english)

The Following User Says Thank You to n900hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n900hacker View Post
I think you can begin with linking/explaining how to solve the broken usb port problem (soldering, glue)... It's a common problem with the n900 and many users have tried it. Another could be how to get devoce working when you get it wet (sorry for bad english)
That is allready a sticky. I can just try to post methods to prevent. (but not now, for now I am just waiting problems, so I can search for solutions and post them here)

Make a list and in 2 weeks (when I'm done with my exams) I'm going to resolve this thread, and make it a complete "service wiki".

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
IMO this would be the best place to put that information.

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Issues

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
IMO this would be the best place to put that information.

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Issues
good, let's talk solutions for problems here and the best solution we're going to add to that page

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Good idea. I will add this thread here. usefull when buying a used N900. What to check when buying a used N900. Useful to those who are new to N900 and don't know what to check.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Good idea. I will add this thread here. usefull when buying a used N900. What to check when buying a used N900. Useful to those who are new to N900 and don't know what to check.
Updated! Please check it out. This is the final form of the thread as I see it!

I hope it will be helpful!

Tags
hw problem, nokia n900