Having a bit of problem with the updating of apps on my n900 after I upgraded to PR1.3

What's happening is that typically when the updater sees an update, I'll install the update, everything goes fine until the following day when the phone goes to check for updates, it will see that the app updated the night before needs to be updated, the update being the same version I installed the night before. This will typically keep happening each night until I reboot although that is not always necessary.

Anyone else experiencing this and / or knows how to resolve this?

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Is there any chance your switching between repos? i mean activating and deactivating extra-devel repository?

The most commen reason i found for the app manager trying to update to a version you allready have, is caused by a dependency that app has wich is not up to date with the version in the repo.

It will look like its updating the app, while infact its one of dependencies being updated.

Anyways im no expert. Im sure others have more insight.

Not that I am aware of, repos are all just left enabled full time.

A list of apps that have asked to have the same update installed multiple times have included (but not limited to)

Most recent:
  • SleepAnalyser 1.8-102 - been doing so nightly for the last 3 days
  • vumeter 0.11.0 - along with the above, this has also been asking to be updated

past apps have included
  • pidgin
  • recaller
  • gpodder
  • panucchi

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Are you sure that you're not being asked to update to a later build of the same version. For example, you may have vumeter 0.11.0-1 installed, then the dev uploads a new build (bug fixes, but no new features) as 0.11.0-2. You will be prompted to update, but the build number may not appear in the version number (I can't remember if that's true, since I use FapMan these days).

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Are you sure that you're not being asked to update to a later build of the same version.
That had occurred to me previously. Certainly for all past ones I had been getting the exact same version number on a number of occasions.

Having said that, looking at the package info for vumeter and sleepanalyzer, they've both had multiple version upgrades in the past few days (sadly didn't note their version numbers).

Will keep an eye over the coming days and see how it goes.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
i had something similar (not on pr 1.3) where there were two slightly different instances of the same depency version on different repos, having dependency a already, things wanting dependency b didn't install it, worked fine, but still wanted updated (at least this is how i inderstand it, really the guys here just told me how to fix it) removing the already installed dependeny a then letting one of the packages that wanted dependency b install it solved the problem.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Do you have extras-devel enabled? Then it can easily happen if the developer uploads a new build (package) of the same version each day.
At least it happens to me, as e.g. I did the new version of Recaller, uploaded a build, went to sleep, worked for a day, came back in the evening, tested the new build with my other device, found missing dependencies, updated the build again (but kept the software version as this didn't change), uploaded it once more etc. etc. :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
(perhapes it happens to me) but i do not care .

i updated "vumeter" almost 5 times in last week ,,,and a cool thing is i did not see what version i have and what i m going to update !! lol..

.(but i will see now and will pst the result here) .cheers

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Please do not use the Extras-Devel repository if you always want to have the latest working version. Extras-Devel applications often are buggy or not properly working.
They are a tool for the developer to see if the package building works and for others who want to help testing. But it is not for normal users!
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator