Originally Posted by Element
Well, but Pocket PC Tech offers upgrade for 128Mb for just 169$.
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~un...updateunit.htm
Think, they have reason to do it...
I'm talking about the price of the memory itself. Sure, aftermarket it's expensive but +64MB is very cheap at the manufacture stage.

The point about power consumption is true, but I'd rather have the memory personally. I do hope Nokia optimizes the OS for the next release.

Ted

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
As I stated earlier, I'm here with the model # for anyone that wants to know.

The chip is a Samsung KAL00100EA-DGYY

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Forget about pocketpctechs - apparently they couldn't even open the Nokia let alone upgrade the memory...

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
How on earth could they not open it? They can figure out how to expand memory on all those devices but can't open it? Hmm, well either way, as I said it's not something that can be done at home with out an X-Ray for BGA as I believe it was Miho mentioned

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by uNtouched
How on earth could they not open it? They can figure out how to expand memory on all those devices but can't open it? Hmm, well either way, as I said it's not something that can be done at home with out an X-Ray for BGA as I believe it was Miho mentioned
Good questions! BGA only needs special positioning and heating equipment for chip replacement. The big question is whether or not the grid array is the same for both memories (the one in place and the desired one) and whether or not Nokia wired in the upper address lines. If these conditions are met, then there is an opportunity for someone to do upgrades.

Easier to wait for OS 2006, with the swap on memory card options.

Originally Posted by Moby
Easier to wait for OS 2006, with the swap on memory card options.
I agree, this is why I haven't pursued this further, but swap is slower than internal memory, so I hope the next hardware release of the 770 will increase the internal memory. I'd gladly pay the extra for a model with enough memory to run more demainding applications.

Ted

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by tzz
I agree, this is why I haven't pursued this further, but swap is slower than internal memory, so I hope the next hardware release of the 770 will increase the internal memory. I'd gladly pay the extra for a model with enough memory to run more demainding applications.

Ted
The price point is very important for a device like this. A memory upgrade would be nice for people like us but, let's face it, highly unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Originally Posted by tzz
Memory prices are so ridiculously low, though, that the 64 MB difference couldn't have been more than $20. I would have gladly paid that for a more stable device.
The power consumption is probably a bigger problem (although toys like this are really price sensitive)... It could also be that their testing didn't reveal the stability issues: Not everyone seems to be plagued by them (I've had very little problems) -- maybe the usage is just different enough.
The 770 certainly wasn't marketed as a premarket unit by Nokia.
Do you mean that it was actually marketed somewhere? I haven't seen even one ad so far, and although I've been looking I haven't seen one single device at stores...

Originally Posted by jussik
Do you mean that it was actually marketed somewhere? I haven't seen even one ad so far, and although I've been looking I haven't seen one single device at stores...
At least nokia.com had the 770 on their front page for a bit, that's how I found out about it (while looking at the 9300).

CompUSA had the 770 displayed very prominently for a while (together with the new Nxx series), though I haven't visited them recently.

Ted