Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I just received my 8GB Class 4 SDHC Patriot card today and did run some quick speed test: I just copied a 327MB file from PC to the card mounted on N800, and back to PC.

The write speed was 3119kB/sec.

The read speed was 12596kB/sec.

These were taken with a stopwatch so some error margin is expected...

It looks like the Class 4 is being utilized with N800. Luckily I did not go and get the cheapest Class 2 card.

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I just received my 8GB Class 4 SDHC Patriot card today and did run some quick speed test: I just copied a 327MB file from PC to the card mounted on N800, and back to PC.

The write speed was 3119kB/sec.

The read speed was 12596kB/sec.

These were taken with a stopwatch so some error margin is expected...

It looks like the Class 4 is being utilized with N800. Luckily I did not go and get the cheapest Class 2 card.

lol like Milhouse did.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Those read speeds are pretty similar to my Class 2 to be honest (I'd wager identical once you eliminate the variance introduced by the stopwatch timing) and the write speed I observed (6.4Mb/s) is significantly better than the Class 4 card.

All in all, I'm very happy with a cheap Class 2 device in my N800 thanks euchprof - but feel free to blow your cash on a Class 4 if you think it justified! I certainly don't think it is - the only benefit of Class 4 over Class 2 is when using the card in a PC card reader and performing bulk transfers where you should see improved write performance.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Those read speeds are pretty similar to my Class 2 to be honest (I'd wager identical once you eliminate the variance introduced by the stopwatch timing) and the write speed I observed (6.4Mb/s) is significantly better than the Class 4 card.

All in all, I'm very happy with a cheap Class 2 device in my N800 thanks euchprof - but feel free to blow your cash on a Class 4 if you think it justified! I certainly don't think it is - the only benefit of Class 4 over Class 2 is when using the card in a PC card reader and performing bulk transfers where you should see improved write performance.
I didn't expect much difference in read speed, but wanted to make sure the write speed is reasonable. The Class 4 was only $5 more expensive than a Class 2 thus it was almost no brainer...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
In that case at $5 difference, fair enough - you can't argue with that!

While at it... anybody has any suggestions about PC card reader? Are all/any SDHC compatible USB card readers able to utilize Class 4 or even 6 speeds? How about bigger cards than 8GB?

In Ebay I see some but suspiciously they seem to limit up to 8GB size and talk about supporting 150X max speed and/or Class 2...

Maybe I need to search some Brand Name products and see if they publish specifications where these are defined properly...

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
a standard SD card reader doesnt seem to read SDHC. i got sucked into buying a 4GB SDHC card at CompUSA when i got my n800, from SanDisk and it came with a usb-2-sdhc reader. it ran $129 for the card, but the reader makes up for the ghastly price.

you can connect the n800 to a pc via usb, and read any card that is mounted in the n800.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
a standard SD card reader doesnt seem to read SDHC. i got sucked into buying a 4GB SDHC card at CompUSA when i got my n800, from SanDisk and it came with a usb-2-sdhc reader. it ran $129 for the card, but the reader makes up for the ghastly price.
Also, not all SD readers will read non-HC 4 GB cards. I have two that work normally in my N800, but only the built-in card reader in my pc recognizes them. A second, USB reader keeps insisting there's nothing there.

Fortunately, my cards also came with little USB readers; they're now essentially USB flashdrives with the low-capacity cards I've been accumulating over the years (well -- months...).

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
While at it... anybody has any suggestions about PC card reader? Are all/any SDHC compatible USB card readers able to utilize Class 4 or even 6 speeds? How about bigger cards than 8GB?

In Ebay I see some but suspiciously they seem to limit up to 8GB size and talk about supporting 150X max speed and/or Class 2...

Maybe I need to search some Brand Name products and see if they publish specifications where these are defined properly...
Replying to my own post... jpj did test multiple different cards using SimpleTech Bonzai USB 2.0 reader. In those results the Patriot 8GB Class 4 card (that I have) did get over 5MB/sec write speed, thus seem a good choice? It is also pretty cheap...

I think I'm going to get that one...

Need help, maybe i do something wrong.
I want to use with n800 Kingston 4Gb SDHC.
I'm trying to patch my n800 with sdhc kernel patch from device itself, but after string "./kernel_flasher/kernel_flash sdhc.bin" it asks "Are you ready to flash? (yes/no)" and then message appears:
"Nothing flashed.
Cleaning up... done."
After reboot n800 can't find card.
Sorry for terrible English.