Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible to stream the output of a wireless camera to the tablet? I have an n800 running Diablo.

I have this camera. The camera transmits to a receiver that put out the signal through RCA cables (one for video, one for audio which of such poor quality as to make it useless in its current form.

Currently I can view the video stream on my TV, on on my PC running XP using this device. I can't find successful accounts of anyone getting the device to work with Linux. I can certainly consider acquiring another device if one is available to get RCA into the N800.

Is the Dazzle framegrabber a USB device? You'll have to see if you can find a Linux driver for it (otherwise look for a USB framegrabber which does have Linux drivers).

I don't know what the bandwidth of the USB chipset is, i.e. what sort of framerate you'll be able to obtain, perhaps look at the posts/threads about TV tuners (which effectively spit out frames of video over USB in the same way as your framegrabber will) and see what people are getting (assuming someone's got one to work that is).

Thanks for the reply. The Dazzle video capture device is indeed a USB device. I can't find anything close to a Linux driver for it.

If I were to capture the video on a PC, would it be possible to stream the video, in real time, to the tablet via WLAN?

The easiest thing I can think of is to hook up your receiver to your PC, use a VNC server on your PC, then use VNC Viewer on your tablet.

For your PC:
http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/download.html

For your tablet:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/vncviewer/

If you're within the same wireless network, it should be simple, but if you're not, you may need to set up port forwarding on your router (in which case you should definitely make sure your VNC is password-protected)

More info on VNC can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
VNC won't give you sound, so its slightly pointless, and its VERY slow for a camera.

A better, though harder, way to do this would be to stream it through VLC media player.

Open the video device in VLC, set up streaming, and open the stream using MPlayer on the tablet. Yes, I know I make it seem very simple, but it does work.

Edit: If sound is not important, then look at some of the "stream my webcam" products on the internet. Actually, mebeam.com might just work for this (has sound as well!). If your capture device is recognized by flash, you are all set. It also works over the internet with zero configuration, so that is a extra. And its free...

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2008-08-07 at 17:18.

That would be excellent if it would work. I've messed around with VNC a little. I was under the impression that VNC would not send the video stream. It seems like I tried to do this, not using the RCA supplied video but just a streaming movie. If I remember correctly, the movie played perfectly on my PC, but the player just appeared as an empty box on the VNC screen on my tablet.

Does this sound right? Is anyone else able to stream video through VNC?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
cmdowns, this is because the VNC server is not able "poll" or "capture" the stream. If you really want to use VNC, open the camera in VLC player and mess with the output modes. I think Windows GDI or something works, but I'm not sure.

I remember doing this exact same thing with my palm pilot, so I have experience.

I would highly suggest you use mebeam.com or something similar.