Hello there:
I recently sent my N800 to my brother-in-law in the Navy so that he can call home from wifi hotspots at his various ports of call. Now that the N800 is at my $200 strike price to repurchase, I'm going to be ordering one again. (I wasn't using it as much when I got an EEE PC because I ended up using the EEE to travel for work, and the net savings on total PC weight meant that I wasn't carrying the N800 as much. However, I do miss the walkaround aspects of the N800 quite a bit. Even though it does weigh down a shirt pocket, it is pocketable!

My post has to do with the Flashcam project for Linux. I was told that the camera would never work on the EEE PC running linux because flash did not support the hardware profiles for Linux. However, about 6 weeks ago, I learned of a hack that made it work -- and very well. Why would this hack not work on the N series?

IMO, if the camera could be enabled in tokbox and youtube, etc. on the N8X00 devices, it would be a real killer app.

Anyway, I'm just a user, and have no programming skills to contribute. However, I am willing to donate $ to start a bounty if somebody can use the vloopback (vlback.sh) hack to make the camera work on the N800.

This is a new thread because while I see a lot of posts about the lack of flash support, I do think that this method might hold some promise.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I tried, a ****ing pain in the ***.

Camera type gets shifted from RGB to UYYV when the internet call applications open. I edit code to accept that, I get a thousand more errors. When I get no errors, I try out the script to run the browser (I installed bash to make sure the script worked right) and I open the webpage and then the vloopback program crashes.

can the internet call application be disabled? a lot more people i know have flash versus the internet call application

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
can the internet call application be disabled? a lot more people i know have flash versus the internet call application
Check out this post, but you'll need to develop this idea to keep it after a reboot. HTH
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It can do, but it still doesn't work :/

It compiles very easily (with a few changes) but it crashes on me. if I could develop properly, I'd look into it but I can't figure it out

I guess I'll look into the SIP route. Man, what a lost opportunity for Nokia. The original PC application rocked -- why did they have to discontinue it?

Hi Qwerty12,

It's Olivier the author of The Flashcam Project. I don't have a N800 myself but I'd be please to help. How? I can write a few line of codes that could tell me exactly what's wrong with program. Hopefully this would lead to a fix.

Do not hesitate to contact me. Which you should have done already IMHO

-Olivier (Swift)

Last edited by Swift; 2008-05-09 at 13:15. Reason: typos, typos

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Hi Qwerty12,

It's Olivier the author of The Flashcam Project. I don't have a N800 myself but I'd be please to help. How? I can write a few line of codes that could tell me exactly what's wrong with program. Hopefully this would lead to a fix.

Do not hesitate to contact me. Which you should have done already IMHO

-Olivier (Swift)
Hi Olivier,

Thanks for taking the time to sign up and reply here . I'm not a developer so I can't really do any debugging or high level analysing (see, I don't know what I am on about :P). Unfortunately, I don't have any free time ATM but when I do, the best I can do is give logs etc.

It compiles cleanly btw, and I won't hesitate

Best Regards,
qwerty12

(BTW: I think your program is great, I want it to work too )

In flashcam.c when it does a VIDIOC_G_FMT, it gives an error (the string has a typo as _S_). The _S_FMT works, but maybe the _CAPTURE doesn't have a "get".

Building had one problem on my system where I had to define CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1_COMPAT in the module source file for the include to pick up all the structures.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
I bypassed the above call, and defaulted things to the camera's 640x480.

Then it didn't like the video format (switch around line 120) - UYVY from the camera, YUYV to the loopback.

I get video in the window, but I'm bright green with a purple background...

I just rewrote a "default:" case with different displacements (yuyv as 0123 becomes uyvy as 0123, or y moves from 0,2 to 1,3, u from 1 to 0 and v from 3 to 2).

It works.

Does it do audio?

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post: