Palm GVM is really bogus. It was the thought of running Palm that actually pushed me over the edge to buy into the Nokia n800. But now, for no reason at all, everything I install disappears. This has occurred many times. For instance I had loaded several apps a couple weeks ago, now all gone. They were there a couple days ago. Now I can't install anything either. Has anyone solved this problem? Is there any hope? I keep giving feedback to Access anyway.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Seattle, WA
That's been my experience as well. I keep hoping, and Access just boasted about their release of a new *nix based Palm OS, but what they released to us so far seems worthless.

the best way is to backup your gvm file and make a handy shortcut to restore the backup. you'll be up and running in just a few minutes. it seems that the current version of the emulator is still a bit unstable but definitely better than what my series 60 phone had.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by Machster View Post
Palm GVM is really bogus. It was the thought of running Palm that actually pushed me over the edge to buy into the Nokia n800. But now, for no reason at all, everything I install disappears. This has occurred many times. For instance I had loaded several apps a couple weeks ago, now all gone. They were there a couple days ago. Now I can't install anything either. Has anyone solved this problem? Is there any hope? I keep giving feedback to Access anyway.
I always back up the entire contents of /home/user/.gvm to my MMC card whenever I make major changes, install new programs, etc. in GVM.

To restore, just copy the files back. That provides a full recovery from issues like the one you experienced. :-)

It's a little unstable, but I've found the GVM beta useful for a number of Palm programs now on my 770.