Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Why not use the existing thread?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?p=24355

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Speakin of which, I msgd Reggie to remove that link (so as not to anger our Nokia overlords).

"... why is the 870 pink now?" *lightning crashes*

Sorry, I searched earlier in the day, and didn't find anything on it, I still had the browser/reply open and just sent it when I came back later.

I got it to dial GPRS out with my h6315 ipaq (tmobile), and then a v330 that my wife uses. The v330 has some sort of EDGE capability, but I don't think it's as fast as possible (any recommendations for an EDGE phone?)

Got orb to stream to it, was watching TV and spaceballs from my home at my friends house and in the car. Got music streaming to work. Got VNC to work (even scale, using a login to my home PC, and then scaling other VNC clients through it). Now my eyes hurt from the tiny (but very clear) text. I love this thing... just don't want to be the last person to buy the 770 when the 870 comes out. I have 30 days to return/exchange it, will keep my fingers crossed.

I don't see why people complain about the speed, it's not THAT bad for me. I don't see why you want a cell phone IN the device, because of so many formats (edge, evdo, hsdpa, gprs, etc) and so many carriers, some which don't even use SIM cards (verizon and sprint). A camera would be nice, but not needed.

SD card would be nice, and I guess a faster CPU as long as the battery life stayed the same.

The screen is what sold me. It's simply amazing. After using stupid QVGA Pocket PC's, this is a nice change. I don't understand why screens are getting even smaller on the the PPC's, such as the h6500+ series, which have square 240x240 screens. WTF.

The contender for this Nokia device would have been the MDA Pro (HTC Universal), but it doesn't work in the US (mostly, due to 50mhz band differences), and has no EDGE or EVDO capability. You can't have it all (yet) I guess. I just got tired of waiting (almost 2 years now lol). Not that I want to sound like Mike Cane (yea, I've been lurking for 3-4 days lol)

The next thing that comes close (but is too bulky, and way too expensive), is the SONY UMPC UX180 or 280p. It was $1500 at fry's, but they sold the last demo 1 hour before I got to the store. Too big for your pocket, too heavy, and battery life stinks. Neat idea however.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Speakin of which, I msgd Reggie to remove that link (so as not to anger our Nokia overlords).
Why? I can understand why Reggie would remove the picture at their request, but should we really go out of our way to help them deny all knowledge?

It's not like there are regular Nokia contributions to ITT, certainly as ITT forum users I wouldn't have thought it was in our interest to help them bury it.

Last edited by aflegg; 2006-10-27 at 15:47. Reason: Add quote to clarify

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew: True enough... though they do lurk here and I've seen a few items people complained about enough implemented in the IT2006 relase (ie VOIP, albeit not to the standard in which we had hoped).

a280: I'm in the same boat. Sure it'd be nice if it were a 12GHz device with a terrabyte of RAM but hell... I grew up on a C64, I don't mind waiting 10 seconds for an app to load up because I know what it's like to wait 10 minutes. Crashes will happen from time to time, but that's no big deal.

I think the hugest thing about the 770 that you'll like is checking for apps every once in a while and finding things that completely change how you use the tablet. Take VNC for example, I didn't even have to get up from the couch to change the songs WinAmp was playing... I just VNC'd in, popped it up, changed the song, and logged out. Wonder if there's any diet apps

A friend and I drove from Toronto to Troy Michigan to buy ours... I saw the demo copy, ran up, and ... battery dead. No plug. It turned on long enough for the NOKIA logo to pop up on the main screen and that's when I realized just how amazing the resolution was. We choked back Krispee Kreme coffee (Canadian diets aren't ready for that stuff) and stole power from a convenient outlet under the table to charge them... definately impressive.

Yea, I've lived with the "crappy" TI OMAP 1510 CPU that's in my h6300 ipaq for 2 years. It's a little slow, but it does everything I ask it too. People don't realize that it's a dual core RISC cpu of sorts, with a seperate DSP for multimedia and other support.

The Nokia uses the OMAP 1710, with enhancments, plus a 25 mhz boost. Not too shabby. My h6315 lasts a long time compared to my 500mhz+ dell axim x50, and both can do about the same stuff.

I know what a slow computer is lol, TRS-80, 8086/8, 286 w.o coprocessors, etc lol, but it's fun stuff!

I just hope the new nokia doesn't have the n93 TI CPU, which is around 400-500mhz! That would be a huge difference, and I might have to exchange my 770. Actually, I hope it does have it and maybe I'll give this 770 to the wifey.

Originally Posted by a280z
I just bought the 770 last night, and got VNC to work with it thanks to these great forums! Yay! I love it!

However, I was looking around at stuff and noticed this, a Nokia 870 picture (prototype)?

When is this thing coming out?

I would have made a new thread, but since I'm new, I guess it won't let me on this forum.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/n...s-in-the-wild/
I would enjoy your 770 now, it's very useful- OS2006 is great, I use mine daily for web, music, email, etc. I'm sure the 870 will have worth while improvements such as better implementation of VOIP (I've never gotten GTalk to work, oh well....), but there is no word that I have seen on when it will be available. I'd be surprised if it came out before Q2 next year or any time in '07 considering that pic is essentially a "spy photo" not an officially announced picture.

There is always going to be a newer version.

Oh well. My humble $.02