i live in nj

what is the cheapest cell phone plan
that can allow me to tether with the n810 and my cell phone

Tmobile is probably the cheapest. The howardforums.com site is a great resource for this kind of info as well.

will the tmobile pay as you go work to tether my n810

i want str8 answers if possible.

thank u

Sprint Sero includes free unlimited data (EVDO broadband)

"Sprint SERO is the semi-secret Sprint Employee Referral Offer. It is a special store where you can get discounts and special offers on plans, hardware and accessories -- if you know the magic password (wink wink) to get into the store."

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/P...s-Sprint-88563

Last edited by dkwatts; 2008-01-22 at 04:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkwatts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I would probably think that T-mobile will be the cheapest. $19.99/mo if you want it to work without a fuss without tinkering. You may be able to get the $5.99 plan to work as well, though it seems that YMMV.

The AT&T $19.99 MediaMax plan is also reputed to work, though tethering technically will violate your TOS. Also, with AT&T, if your cell phone is 3G capable and you have 3G network coverage in your area, that is something to consider as well.

I don't know much about the other carriers, as others have and will tell you, Howard Forums is a good place to start for gathering information.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Actually Nextel's iDEN network provides a slow, always on connection that can be accessed via BT by all internet devices that I have tried except NOKIA's tablets. Bugs have been filed and promises made but there has been no change even in OS2008.

Members have provided work arounds for the dial up string however, there is another connection issue which causes all BT service queries to be rejected by the phone...
I would point to that bug but Bugzilla and Maemo.org seem to be down at the moment.

It's a shame really because it is always on, does not require a data plan, and does not interfere with calls, text, or JAVA. I use it along with a private IP to have e-mail, traffic, and weather data pushed to my WinMo 2003 PPC that connects automagicly whenever I get in my car. (WinMo's sucky battery life keeps it in the car )

I would love to use an iDEN connection with the tablet and enjoy the tablets better battery performance and display but, I feel no love coming from the developers...

thank you guys for all your help

is it possible to use the tethering with tmobile pay as you go?

Again Boost on iDEN allows it... but not NOKIA tablets.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Stillwater, ok
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Again Boost on iDEN allows it... but not NOKIA tablets.
Couldn't you just get a bluetooth equipped iden phone (like a Blackberry 7100i which works on boost and can be had for about $75 on ebay) and then DUN through it? I admit that I'm not sure about the Blackberry providing DUN though, but other phones?

I have a boost phone just for the free internet (and GPS).

Originally Posted by eflyersteve View Post
Couldn't you just get a bluetooth equipped iden phone (like a Blackberry 7100i which works on boost and can be had for about $75 on ebay) and then DUN through it? I admit that I'm not sure about the Blackberry providing DUN though, but other phones?

I have a boost phone just for the free internet (and GPS).
The ability to piggyback onto the phones IP network through DUN is unique to Motorola. They have always provided this by using a unique dial up string that the Tablets can not enter (the characters are blacked out on the Tablets DUN keyboard). >> https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1095

This is the first hurdle and it has been solved through hackery.

The second problem is that the tablets issues at least one AT command at connect-time which Motorola (iDen) cellphones don't recognize. The tablets then improperly concludes the cellphone is unready for connection. The result is that the cellphone briefly announces a bluetooth connection, then quickly announces BT disconnection.

>> https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1149

BTW I have, or have access to all the iDEN phones that have BT DUN. None of these phones connect with the Tablet (i605, i615, i580, i870, i880 and the newest i335).

As I have said earlier... These problems do not exist with any other Linux or Windows devices that I have used BT DUN with. Only the NOKIA Tablets.

Also... If any of you feel my pain and have the means, please vote for these 2 bugs.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-11-18 at 23:46.