Hi,
does anyone knows if it is possible to sync data from google (calendar, contacts, mail) along with the data from the company's exchange server (calendar, contacts, mail).

I know, that it is not possible to have 2 exchange servers for syncing. So setting up google via exchange (active sync) and the company's exchang server via exchange (active sync) is not possible.

I also know, that I could sync google mails via imap - but than I will lose contacts and calendar.

But does another approach exists to get the data from google and the company?

Currently only the HTC Hero (and the coming motorola droid/milestone) are capable of this - but I would love to be able to switch back to nokia

thanks for any help,
regards,
jeran

You can have multiple email accounts
But not multiple contacts, calendar. On the other hand sync these from your Google to your company account, and then sync your device to your company. Sadly as I understand it you cant create categories, ie home contact vs work contact via sync.

anyone else?

Well, I once had it that way - everything in the company's system. But I want to have them split - I don't want my private data on the company's servers.

Also syncing the companys data to google is not an option - google should not store the company's data on their servers...

but if anyone has other ideas, they are welcome

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
You can have multiple email accounts
But not multiple contacts, calendar.
I want to sync my personal mail, calendar and contacts with google, and only email from work. Are you saying this is possible?

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
I want to sync my personal mail, calendar and contacts with google, and only email from work. Are you saying this is possible?
I don't think this is currently possible. Since the N900 allows only one Exchange account, you can't setup an Exchange for Google (Contact and Calendar) and another for work email.

I think @mikec was referring to multiple regular email accounts but only one possible Exchange account for Contact/Calendar/Email. If you use your office exchange, it will sync office contact/calendar and/or email.

Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
I don't think this is currently possible. Since the N900 allows only one Exchange account, you can't setup an Exchange for Google (Contact and Calendar) and another for work email.

I think @mikec was referring to multiple regular email accounts but only one possible Exchange account for Contact/Calendar/Email. If you use your office exchange, it will sync office contact/calendar and/or email.
Yep thats what I meant. Mail for Exchange only allows 1 account. Nokia Messaging allows upto 10 accounts (IMAP or POP).
I'm not clear where Ovi comes into this yet, but would expect full Ovi support for contacts and calendar at some point given Nokias drive towards services.

You could use Nokia messaging for gmail, and MfE for work. I do this on my E71 sort of at the moment and it works nice.

(will have to be verified by an N900 owner)
Mike C

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
So close...

So outside of using MfE, is there no way to sync calendar and contacts with Google (mail via IMAP is obviously covered)?

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
A Google-Sync-Daemon would be one solution, eg. not talk to Google via the Exchange protocol. That would leave the Exchange to beconfigured and used with your work account.
I'd like to see something like this as well since I'm in the same situation, Google on the private side and an Exchange on the work side. Having to decide for either/or regarding PIM sync is kind of a pity.
As pointed out earlier by others, combination of the PIM data is not really an option either.

I wonder how hard it is to write such a daemon - does anyone here reading this an idea how to get started with this?

hm... whereas... two question are raising:
1. does google provide an interface to fetch the data from the google calendar & contacts
2. is the nokia n900 capable of to differentiate between these entries? so, do we have support for multiple calendars? if not, you could write a daemon to fetch the data from google calender, but with the next exchange sync all your private data will be on the company's server...

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
I do think Nokia highlighted the fact that there is support for multiple calendars. In some video, I think one with Peter, this has been said. How to handle that on a technical basis, I don't know, though.
Now for the syncing, yes there is an API to sync contacts since I have a daemon running on my Windows box which syncs my Outlook contacts to Google (and then onto my Android device). The same is valid for Outlook and Google Calendar, there is a daemon as well for that, so the APIs exist.

Tags
exchange