Notices

Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
How does the free sms from grandcentral integrate with the n810?
Not sure that it will at all which is a huge bummer. They say in their sms video that you can send sms messages you receive to multiple 'phones' so I am guessing to a registered phone number only.

I think I am going to try to get a clickatell account and have my own clickatell-->http--->xmpp set up. Clickatell's incoming sms are 1/3 of a credit which is about 1 cent, still much cheaper than most cell phone providers.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I thought they said it can send sms to email. Maybe I misread that....

Originally Posted by epage View Post
I thought they said it can send sms to email. Maybe I misread that....
That would be alright, but even better if sending sms through google chat would show as originating from your grandcentral #

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
It says my account is not ready to be upgraded. Is this normal?

Few questions to people on the new service:
1) Does nationwide free calls still work (incoming and outgoing)?
2) Is there now support for nationwide SMS?
3) Does it still give the option to route calls to SIP(Gizmo5)?
4) Do you get to keep the same number?

I ask this because we also use GrandCentral for our business, and have grown to depend on its free services...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
How does the free sms from grandcentral integrate with the n810?
Can't get sms to work with the built-in chat client, so for now I've been using -

https://www.google.com/voice/#sms
OR
https://www.google.com/voice/m/i/sms (for slow connections)

I think they specifically want to limit sending sms through one of their own web interfaces in order to minimize use, IMHO

Sounds like they got burned on the sms through gtalk thing

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Victoria, BC
For Canadians who have been forwarding a US Grandcentral number to Canadian phones, that won't work any more on Google Voice. You can still forward to a gizmo number though.

The Following User Says Thank You to darrellpf For This Useful Post:
Actually I am now wary of the google. In the same week they admit to behaviorally targeted advertising they also unveil features to transcribe your voicemail, thus we can wholly assume that if you were to use gmail, gtalk, and gvoice, google would be able to index your 'behavior' from all of your emails sent and received, all of your chats sent and received, all of your voicemails that people have left you, every sms, every search you have performed. Oh yeah, Picasa too maybe?

That is just crazy. I am not a privacy nut, but letting one entity(real person or corporate person) onto so much of your information is just nuts.

Then again if I sign up and use all of their services, they can probably tell me exactly the products I need that I didn't know about.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by darrellpf View Post
For Canadians who have been forwarding a US Grandcentral number to Canadian phones, that won't work any more on Google Voice. You can still forward to a gizmo number though.
So, as a Canadian, I don't want them to upgrade hobble my account to Google Voice... Sigh...

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
Actually I am now wary of the google. In the same week they admit to behaviorally targeted advertising they also unveil features to transcribe your voicemail, thus we can wholly assume that if you were to use gmail, gtalk, and gvoice, google would be able to index your 'behavior' from all of your emails sent and received, all of your chats sent and received, all of your voicemails that people have left you, every sms, every search you have performed. Oh yeah, Picasa too maybe?

That is just crazy. I am not a privacy nut, but letting one entity(real person or corporate person) onto so much of your information is just nuts.

Then again if I sign up and use all of their services, they can probably tell me exactly the products I need that I didn't know about.
Yup, that's why I try to obfuscate my data. And keep anything that is somewhat important away.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...