Notices

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
I've just dragged around OMWeather applet and it acts fine, no pop-ups. Anyone faces that problem?
I constantly get OMWeather popping up the details page when I just meant to wake up the tablet's screen, or something else. I wish the details screen would only pop up if you tap-and-hold the applet for a period of time, or something...

Just to be clear, I love OMWeather. One of my favorite apps for the tablet.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
What steams my clams about some commercial partners is:
Where have they been for the past 3 years?

Instead of providing apps for a device when the apps are most needed... like when the devices are first rolled out and then growing their business along side of this new community, too many times it seems that these partners step in only after a market has been developed by a good FOSS program.
Well, that is what the "commercial" part of commercial partner is all about.
Most of the time unless there is a market, there is no commerce to be had from that. Not all companies are as big as say Google to be able to create a market. They only jump in once there IS a market.

That's not a reason to always blame them. In fact instead of being anti to these commercial companies because they were nowhere to be seen for the last 3 years, I think the community should be welcoming of them as well as other open source partners so that we have more of a ecosystem in the next 3 years.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I constantly get OMWeather popping up the details page when I just meant to wake up the tablet's screen, or something else. I wish the details screen would only pop up if you tap-and-hold the applet for a period of time, or something...

Just to be clear, I love OMWeather. One of my favorite apps for the tablet.
Yeah... I've had that happen as well. It's rare--but your suggestion wouldn't ruin anyone's experience. I'd like that implemented.

My other annoyance is OS2008 related with home apps, though--nothing that I think the OMweather guys can do anything about: apps move around the home screen much too willingly if I'm sliding my finger across the screen. I preferred the old OS2006/OS2007 method of locking down the locations of the home apps and making you CHOOSE to orient them. ...but this is irrelevant to this thread and to either weather applet, per se, except that they're home applets and relegated to this abuse from OS2008.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi, I wrote the Foreca applet and just to let you know:

This app was a quick test project for Foreca to get an idea of what it would be like to develop for Maemo. No money certainly exchanged hands, but since Foreca has had commercial ventures with Nokia, we are registered as a commercial partner.

It's been nice to read comments from happy users and improvement ideas from others. I've been reading this forum a long time now and if we're able to allocate more resources for development in the future, I'm hoping to write something here and maybe get some interactive feedback from you guys. We're not a big bad company

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jjrv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jjrv View Post

This app was a quick test project for Foreca to get an idea of what it would be like to develop for Maemo. No money certainly exchanged hands, but since Foreca has had commercial ventures with Nokia, we are registered as a commercial partner.

It's been nice to read comments from happy users and improvement ideas from others. I've been reading this forum a long time now and if we're able to allocate more resources for development in the future, I'm hoping to write something here and maybe get some interactive feedback from you guys. We're not a big bad company
This was a refreshing surprise! I'm glad you've come across the thread and decided to reply back. I also hope that you don't take criticism too personally. We're all spoiled critics. The OMweather guys have been at it for quite some time and it shows--they've made a quality product. I hope that you can take to heart and keep the features that have been complimented by the users as well as consider the criticisms as constructive.

I for one look forward to seeing what you do with this application. Despite the commercial tinge of the watermarking and closed-source nature of the application, I'd like to see where you go with this. Different implementations of a good home application like a weather widget serves to provide diversity to people who might otherwise prefer one or the other implementation.

Thanks again for posting into the thread and letting us know that you do read the comments! Be well!

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia

Nice to see you here
I wanted to ask, if Foreca's DBs are accessible for third party developers? (some XML output or something else)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Well, that is what the "commercial" part of commercial partner is all about.
Most of the time unless there is a market, there is no commerce to be had from that. Not all companies are as big as say Google to be able to create a market. They only jump in once there IS a market.

That's not a reason to always blame them. In fact instead of being anti to these commercial companies because they were nowhere to be seen for the last 3 years, I think the community should be welcoming of them as well as other open source partners so that we have more of a ecosystem in the next 3 years.
No blame... and not anti.

I would love it if a commercial partner stepped in and provided apps for things not covered well already.

I also realize that being there in the beginning is no guarantee either. Wayfinder was... yet they have provided little support that is specific to the tablet. Instead they just crammed a square peg in a round hole by providing a port of an app developed for other devices. In 3 years time they have offered only minor, cosmetic updates.

I also said in my original post in this thread that the Foreca app was well made and that I would use it if it wasn't for OMW.

Hi, I wrote the Foreca applet...
Thank you! Nice work. I would advise to do not jump into a feature race. Keep it simple.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
In fact adding functionality to switch cities is making applet too complex I think

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Helsinki
It would be simple to make almost everything configurable with a text file that specifies some default themes for users to choose. More advanced users could edit the numbers (colors, positions, sizes) directly. Maybe this would be good for a possible new version? Graphics can also be changed, actually that already works. They're stored as PNG files in the tablet.

The actual code is very short and easy to modify for any home applet. Sadly I can't publish it but I'm planning to make some unrelated homescreen applet from scratch as open source.

As for free weather information we have some but you'd have to ask sales, see "contact" in corporate.foreca.com. They're friendly and happy to help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjrv For This Useful Post: