Notices

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
I gave it a try, but (frankly) found it lacking in functionality. I've never seen a map, weather report, or much of anything not refer to my city, so I was well covered there. But the fonts were small, and there weren't many options (it took me quite a while to figure out how to switch to Fahrenheit). omweather has about a billion knobs (US measure, and 3 days of weather is all I need) -- but Foreca couldn't be changed to handle just three days? Foreca generally fell short in readability, obviousness for configuring, and flexibility.....

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
OMWeather can already use the GPS
Yup, and it doesn't look like OMW has any commercial plans for using that info in the future.

A little investigation of Foreca finds that this "Commercial Partner" is also in bed with Google. It pro'ly won't be long before adverts get pushed to the tablet along with the forecast.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I use Foreca too (and I have indeed tried OmWeather and do like it more).
But Omweather is a nice big weather thingie - I just wanted a small app justt o show me basic temperatures for a 3 cities - foreca does its thing.

For cities not in the list - I think you can put in the zip code and it will fetch the city locations - not too sure about it though.

I like it! I use it now instead of omweather. It is much simple and so convenient. It does not popup useless full screen window when you touch it, so you can move applet around the screen. GPS feature is great.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
You're talking like OMWeather forces you to use 11 day forecast with combined view. There are options to show 1 day. Unwanted pop-ups is an issue, we're thinking of it. But please, don't call Foreca 'simple and convenient', I'd rather call it 'poor functionally'
P.S.: BTW, I've just dragged around OMWeather applet and it acts fine, no pop-ups. Anyone faces that problem?

Last edited by wazd; 2009-01-07 at 03:45.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, my only problem with omweather is the use of weather.com as its source of data.

i would love to have a look at providing a alternate data source...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
i prefer omweather - but i also like vanilla ice cream - who cares what i like
but what i would like is the ability to add radar to the display- i would donate/pay for a weather app like that!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prk60091 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
don't call Foreca 'simple and convenient', I'd rather call it 'poor functionally'
I name things as I feel. Foreca is much better. It looks better and more professional. It does not have as many options as omweather, which is indication that authors were thinking about usability, instead of dumping a full load of checkboxes into users throat. But it is all could be Ok, except one thing, which I hate - full screen popup with "details". Personally I do not need any details. All I want is a small simple forecast, which Foreca is doing perfectly. If I were Nokia, I would include Foreca into the next OS release.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by vtolkov View Post
I name things as I feel. Foreca is much better. It looks better and more professional. It does not have as many options as omweather, which is indication that authors were thinking about usability, instead of dumping a full load of checkboxes into users throat. But it is all could be Ok, except one thing, which I hate - full screen popup with "details". Personally I do not need any details. All I want is a small simple forecast, which Foreca is doing perfectly. If I were Nokia, I would include Foreca into the next OS release.
And I'm sure their commercial partner could make that happen once they figure out how to generate revenue with it.

What steams my clams about some commercial partners is:
Where have they been for the past 3 years?

Instead of providing apps for a device when the apps are most needed... like when the devices are first rolled out and then growing their business along side of this new community, too many times it seems that these partners step in only after a market has been developed by a good FOSS program.

I am not saying that "cherry picking" is the case here but, the OMW crew gets my support just out of general principle.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by vtolkov View Post
If I were Nokia, I would include Foreca into the next OS release.
Do not want!