Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
However - AOL reply numbers (the number your friends see) will expire after a few days.

Google disabled the SMS-through-chat API when it was being abused by a company selling an app on the iPhone that promised free unlimited SMSs. So as far as I know it no longer works with the built-in client (you can receive sms messages, but cant reply to them)
I'm not quite sure exactly what all you're saying here.

Create AOL chat account. Use default chat program that Diablo comes with. Free text messages for a few days then the new account expires. Can only receive not send messages this way.

Is this correct?

Are there any better alternatives than this?

My ideal set-up is just to use Pidgin for instant messages as well as phone texting since I like the look and I have Qwerty's excellent LED notification plug-in.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
I'm not quite sure exactly what all you're saying here.

Create AOL chat account. Use default chat program that Diablo comes with. Free text messages for a few days then the new account expires. Can only receive not send messages this way.

Is this correct?

Are there any better alternatives than this?

My ideal set-up is just to use Pidgin for instant messages as well as phone texting since I like the look and I have Qwerty's excellent LED notification plug-in.
I was saying that the number expires - so your friends cant add the 'from' number to their phonebook and use it a month later for example, because the number is expired. You will get a new number next time you text them.

I believe you can use AOL (AIM) with pidgin

Okay.

Kind of goofy that AOL would keep changing your phone number like that.

So there's no Google voice trick or something else that can be done where I can send and receive both internet instant messages as well as cell phone texts through Pidgin?

Okay.

Kind of goofy that AOL would keep changing your phone number like that.

So there's no Google voice trick or something else that can be done where I can send and receive both internet instant messages as well as cell phone texts through Pidgin?
There used to be - but as it stands... no there is currently no solution for this as far as I know

AOL changes your number because they only have a fixed pool of numbers and they reassign them as needed

The Following User Says Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
In case people are interested in GoogleVoice integration, see the following posts

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=464
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=467

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply overfloat.

I thought maybe there was a way to use pidgin with a special, creative set up.

Like if someone calls, you have google voice forward it to gmail then Qwerty's LED plugin notifies you about the message then the message goes to gmail which then opens up google voice..... oh wait, I think I just lost my train of thought. *lol*

Kind of excited about epage's "The One Ring". Sounds like he's thinking outside the box. And I dig that!

One suggestion on the name though... I think it would sound a little bit better if you changed everything about it.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Kind of excited about epage's "The One Ring". Sounds like he's thinking outside the box. And I dig that!

One suggestion on the name though... I think it would sound a little bit better if you changed everything about it.
Come on, I think its a great name that conveys Google's emphasis on The One True Phone Number and makes a play at Tolkien.

Yeah, maybe. But still, it makes you sound like more of a dork than what you probably already are.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Great work epage, but read my sig. lol

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Great work epage, but read my sig. lol
YEAH! ...also disco

Last edited by overfloat; 2009-10-03 at 04:51.