Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by davbost View Post
Pray to God for help. There is nothing you can do alone.
Ha. Every time I hear that I remember this sort of joke I heard a while ago. I don't think it's a joke.

There was this God-fearing farmer that lived all his life under strict prayer and obeying all the rules, etc. You know, Flanders.

One day a flood came. Farmer took refuge on the roof of the house and looked up, saying "OK, God, I've been nice all my life, you owe me one, save me".

Nothing happened. No light, no intervention, nothing.

He still believed.

A rescue worker came by in a boat, offering a ride. "No," he said, "God will save me". Later, another boat. "No", he said. Then another boat. "Last chance" said the army man. "No, God will save me, I have no doubt".

Flood came, he died.

Up in Heaven, at the gates, Flanders was definitely irked. "Dude," he said, "what gives? All my life, dedicated, all I did, you let me die?".

"Hmmm," mutters God, picking up a dusty book and flipping pages. "Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about. The book says I sent you three boats."

--

So yes, I can't wait till you're at judgment day and you hear "Dude, I have no idea what you're all about. It says here you had a SWITCH."

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
My girlfriend used to ask me all kinds of questions like this, and i would tell her "It's a hypothetical situation. Nobody really knows how they would act until they are in that situation."

Then she would go on to make it an impossible question to answer by putting herself into it as a possible victim, whereupon i would infuriate her by repeating myself. In all honesty i couldn't say anything different, but it ceased to become worth the dramatics that then ensued...

So, there is one hypothetical question i can answer: if your significant other takes offense at honesty, would you leave her?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
My girlfriend used to ask me all kinds of questions like this, and i would tell her "It's a hypothetical situation. Nobody really knows how they would act until they are in that situation."

Then she would go on to make it an impossible question to answer by putting herself into it as a possible victim, whereupon i would infuriate her by repeating myself. In all honesty i couldn't say anything different, but it ceased to become worth the dramatics that then ensued...

So, there is one hypothetical question i can answer: if your significant other takes offense at honesty, would you leave her?
my EX once asked me if she was the best i'd ever slept with...

i replied honestly...

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
D-cup.

padpadpad

In all fairness, she knows by now I'm gonna be honest so she gets what she asked. In time she learned to never ask what she doesn't want to hear.

Got me rid of those pesky "do you still love me" questions, too. Brutal honesty is the best thing. I really, really wish I could be 100% honest more of the time. But I have to work somewhere, so, I'm sweetened-honest. With a degree in business and a nice engine under the cranium I can weasel my way out of most stuff without lying.

Also, off topic, so, that's it for me.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
So yes, I can't wait till you're at judgment day and you hear "Dude, I have no idea what you're all about. It says here you had a SWITCH."
When I heard this story it was presented as "The moral of this story is: God helps those that help themselves."
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
maemo, morality, philosophy