Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Just an FYI for those of us with the Samsung Galaxy Tab--it already does this. I've taken a bunch of panaramic pictures using my Tab. Apparently, it supports horizontal as well as vertical panoramic (you can move side to side, or up and down for vertical panoramic images... like the time I took a picture of the tallest tower in Hartford, CT, the Cityplace Building). You can get it by going into the Tab's camera app, tap the "screen" icon (top-left side of the screen) and you'll find several modes: Single shot (default), Continuous (takes pictures for as long as you hold the snap button icon), Panaroma (WHOO!), Smile shot (yup--snaps the picture when it detects a smile on the subject), and Self-shot (uses the front-facing camera).
My S2 does it out of the box as well. In addition it has something called action mode. Which basically tracks the moving object in the frame and takes a series of pictures which it then knits together to make a panorama of the "action". Once I figured out what the hell it was I got some really amazing (and kinda freaky) pics with it.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
The HTC Flyer seems really nice the ui and physical design are really nice, the pen feature seems very well implemented, and the 7 inch form factor seems ideal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
The HTC Flyer seems really nice the ui and physical design are really nice, the pen feature seems very well implemented, and the 7 inch form factor seems ideal.
I recently played with one. I agree about the 7-inch form factor and the pen feature (though it might be a fad the way they've implemented it? Maybe?) I'm kind of "meh" on the physical design (it looks a little on the cheap side for physical appearances) and the interface felt a little lacking to me. It felt like a consolation prize for not getting Honeycomb--but that's not to say it was bad. I'm just not sure I liked it better than, say, LauncherPro on my Galaxy Tab.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ England
Dan, I'm going to root my tab because I'm just sure it shouldn't run this sluggish. Sometimes it can struggle with Angry Birds which can't be right!

The point is, and apologies because you have probably mentioned it before, What did you use to root it and what did you put on after?

If this doesn't work I may be forced to get rid because my Sensation has shown me how a phone can run. (Oh so sweet)

But I do like my seven inches.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. Sweet hotdog slush! Where's the Capt'n buggered off to?

Fare thee well, Capt'n.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by noal View Post
Dan, I'm going to root my tab because I'm just sure it shouldn't run this sluggish. Sometimes it can struggle with Angry Birds which can't be right!

The point is, and apologies because you have probably mentioned it before, What did you use to root it and what did you put on after?

If this doesn't work I may be forced to get rid because my Sensation has shown me how a phone can run. (Oh so sweet)

But I do like my seven inches.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. Sweet hotdog slush! Where's the Capt'n buggered off to?

Fare thee well, Capt'n.
I hightly recommend rooting anyway. I used z4root, myself. Easy peasy! One-tap rooty! I only just restored back to stock--I don't trust any of the ROMs out there yet, since they're all in alpha (or even worse) state right now. Although, for your sluggishness, have you looked into what's causing it? Eliminating the root cause might be better than flashing a new ROM.

Slow downs often happen when there's apps competing for memory at the same time in a multitasking OS like Android, and memory management isn't always optimal by default. You can manually free up unused memory by holding down the HOME key, tapping on the task manager, go to the RAM manager tab, select level 1 and 2 and tap 'clear memory'. Not a GREAT solution, but just something to try out to help narrow down the cause.

If you're going to be rooted, be sure to check out V6 SuperCharger--it might help speed things right up by providing better automated memory management settings for the OS.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-06-28 at 21:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
I rooted my Transformer and installed ROM PRIME! 1.5 yesterday.

This thing is smooth!!! And it's not even overclocked... yet

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I recently played with one. I agree about the 7-inch form factor and the pen feature (though it might be a fad the way they've implemented it? Maybe?) I'm kind of "meh" on the physical design (it looks a little on the cheap side for physical appearances) and the interface felt a little lacking to me. It felt like a consolation prize for not getting Honeycomb--but that's not to say it was bad. I'm just not sure I liked it better than, say, LauncherPro on my Galaxy Tab.
Well design is a matter of personal taste and preference, but personally I thinks its gorgeous. Unlike the Galaxy tab the HTC Flyer isn't made of cheap plastic it made of very durable aluminium and it gives the device a professional feeling rather than feeling like a cheap toy like the Galaxy Tab and Archos tablets do with their thin plastic design, sure the aluminum ads a good deal of heft and weight but the heft and weight gives the device a feeling of quality. The interface is nice and unlike the Galaxy Tab it doesn't look so cartoonish and it isn't laggy at all and if you want LauncherPro just install it. The average user will appreciate the HTC Flyer more because it's firmware isn't as buggy as that Samsung's is. Also about Honeycomb, I tried several Honeycomb tablets at Staples and they all crashed on me and the HTC Flyer when I tried it out didn't crash on me once. HTC quotes the battery life of the HTC flyer s 6 hours when it actually get 8-10 hours of battery life which is excellent for any kind of mobile device. I'm not going to get the HTC flyer quite yet but I will save up for it and by the time I'm done saving for it, the device will be much cheaper and there will be other interesting devices like the Sony S2.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I am running Qole's easy debian image on the galaxy tab. Work in progress on the mount - chroot - umount scripts; just taking bits of code from other people who did the same.
The vnc client I'm using to provide X is particularly good and has easy on-screen choice of mouse left/right keys, kbd, panning and zooming and is free for 1 remote connection: http://market.android.com/details?id...ocketcloudfree
Heartily adviced. I wish the open source client were so easy to operate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I am running Qole's easy debian image on the galaxy tab. Work in progress on the mount - chroot - umount scripts; just taking bits of code from other people who did the same.
The vnc client I'm using to provide X is particularly good and has easy on-screen choice of mouse left/right keys, kbd, panning and zooming and is free for 1 remote connection: http://market.android.com/details?id...ocketcloudfree
Heartily adviced. I wish the open source client were so easy to operate.
This sounds remarkable! While Debian has been installed on the Galaxy Tab before, has there been work on compiling programs like open office, or wxmaxima to run on the GT for example? Just like one would obtain from debian repositories for arm to run on n900. It would be interesting to compare performance. Actaully there is a GT with Dual Core Tegra 2 processor and Arm Cortex 8 (same as n9?). Is yours the latter?

Last edited by mscion; 2011-06-29 at 04:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
This sounds remarkable! While Debian has been installed on the Galaxy Tab before, has there been work on compiling programs like open office, or wxmaxima to run on the GT for example? Just like one would obtain from debian repositories for arm to run on n900. It would be interesting to compare performance. Actaully there is a GT with Dual Core Tegra 2 processor and Arm Cortex 8 (same as n9?). Is yours the latter?
I don't know of native ports of such biggies, but I can witness that openoffice works like on the n900 - you wait some dozens of seconds until it gets completely started, then is usable.
I'm using a first-generation, 7" tab BTW, and debian speed is comfortable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy