Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Since the era of N810 and following by N900 and N950 I was spoiled by QWERTY sliders which offers great typing experience and a full screen while input. And finally another high-end slider comes after it disappeared for many years.

I got one for myself since day one and guess a lot of QWERTY users here will be interested to hear some comments. I'll keep it short as bullet points.

- I know, I know, it not a landscape slider. The keys are quite small for my clumsy thumbs, compared with my previous BB Passport, but it's better than nothing. And despite the size, keyboard actually feels great, as other BB devices.

- BB sells it for privacy and security, but how can you have privacy while Google service fleet built in?

- Battery is only eye-catching on paper, a 3410mAh battery can only survive a full day with modest usage. It could perform much better. Guess due to early inefficiency firmware.

- Camera is mediocrity. Built in BB camera is crap (you can't even switch off annoying focus and shutter sound unless put phone to silent), using google camera can produce a much better photo.

- Android is as ugly as usual. Since BB sells for security I guess it is not easy to get it rooted. No fun. Plus Android feels worse than BB10.

- Curved screen feels great in swiping. But no root means I can't fully hide 3 navigation keys to enable bottom swipe.

- Hub on Android is just an improved mail client. (There is no email app in Priv.) Again worse than BB10.

- Build quality is not good at all. Big gaps in back cover and feels hollow. Gaps on sides and the battery cover may be wobbling. Slider not as strong as N810/N900/N950, but better than Dell Venue Pro. Guess portrait slider mechanism is generally not as stable as landscape.

- I wish something like Sailfish or MeeGo-Harmattan can run in a hardware like this. I really wish.

Finally I got a new qwerty device again. Hope it's reliable, we will see...

If any questions regarding this device I'm happy to answer them here.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Is that a theme? Where did you get that theme?

I have a BB Passport and I love it. The battery is great. Software BB10 is very feature complete and keyboard is great, but i would have preferred more buttons like on the Priv (weird name imo), so you don't have to use onscreen keyboard for numbers and other characters.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
My only question would be around their implementation of the BB Hub on Android - how does it compare to the BB native implementation?

How did you do that theme?

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Is that a theme? Where did you get that theme?
Originally Posted by wormdrummer View Post
How did you do that theme?
It's a Harmattan Theme I made last year. I think that's the only one that has real Harmattan looking, not symbian.

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I have a BB Passport and I love it. The battery is great. Software BB10 is very feature complete and keyboard is great, but i would have preferred more buttons like on the Priv (weird name imo), so you don't have to use onscreen keyboard for numbers and other characters.
I like symbols on keyboard as well. But on Priv even for dot and comma you need to press the combined alt key, unlike Passport there are separate ", and ."

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My only question would be around their implementation of the BB Hub on Android - how does it compare to the BB native implementation?
It's a downgrade of BB10 Hub. As I mentioned hub on Android is an email client itself. (There is no separate email app on Priv) So basically in Android BB hub you see combined mail inbox as other phones, plus notifications from phone calls, texts and BBM, can't add third party chats or notifications in. I regard it as an improved mail client, not really the "hub" on BB10...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Netherlands
I like the looks of the device. I would love to have a device with a physcial keyboard. I just don't like android. It's sad BB found the need to use android.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jozz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Why dont they make a landscape slider keyboard!? :'(

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Guess portrait slider mechanism is generally not as stable as landscape.
I really liked the stability and haptics my tiny portrait palm/hp veer slider had back in the day. But perhaps it's just an art form long forgotten by our civilisation. Like building pyramids.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I was going to say that Blackberry ripped off Harmattan

How is the AMOLED screen compared to previous Nokia efforts?

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
chenliangchen thank you for this post because after a long time i'm considering leaving maemo/meego/sailfish ship. This BB Priv caught my attention in the moment of weakness (getting really dissatisfied with my Jolla) so it's a real option. The only thing that's bothering me is that Android has no real multitasking and i don't know if i can live with that (yet). Any comments about that?

Thank you in advance!