Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information about the RSS Reader that will ship with Maemo5. Is there any information on maemo.org website about it ?
I'd like to know if there will be some kind of "offline" mode to store article for later reading.

Thanks for your help !

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
On Maemo 4, the RSS Reader supports offline reading, and there are other third-party apps that you can use for reading RSS news, especially Feed Circuit, Nibbles and CloudReader.

From that I suspect offline reading of RSS feeds will be supported one way or another on Maemo 5, too. And if the official app does not support it, 3rd party apps will probably be ported/created sooner than later. With the feedhandler package that will be available soon, you will then be able to subscribe to a feed directly from the browser and select which app you want to use as RSS reader.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I cant wait to use one of the desktops for just an RSS applet.

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thp View Post
On Maemo 4, the RSS Reader supports offline reading, and there are other third-party apps that you can use for reading RSS news, especially Feed Circuit, Nibbles and CloudReader.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot get Nibbles to install on my n800. Everytime the app manager tells me there's no file available. This software seems to be pretty old and seems to lack the offline feature i'm looking for.
As for the built-in rss reader i don't see any offline support. If you're talking of being able to read a feed offline than it's ok but i was thinking of being able to get all linked articles available for offline reading. Feedcircuit brings this functionality but with mixed results.

Does anyone know if there is a quick way to sync or import your rss feeds from google reader in to your N900?

My Blog

Originally Posted by stobbsc View Post
Does anyone know if there is a quick way to sync or import your rss feeds from google reader in to your N900?
Most rss readers support exporting or importing feed data via an opml file. To create an opml file based on your google reader feeds:

1) In google reader Click on the manage subscriptions link, It will likely be at the bottom of the left hand side of the site.
2) On the page that comes up, click on the "export your subscriptions as an opml file" link.
3) Choose a name and save the file
4) Use the opml file to import your feeds in the rss reader of your choice (the details of which are left as an exercise for you, as I don't have an N900 )

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
You could also try using the Google Reader iPhone web app. It works great on N810 and also S60 phones. Just open this link in the browser:

http://www.google.com/reader/i

Of course you can't then use the homescreen RSS widget but I don't find the version on N810 very functional anyway. Maybe the N900 RSS widget has been improved?

RSS Widget is nice. The RSS app is not. It is very slow, always keeps reloading the entire feed and does not have fullscreen mode. I set the RSS widget to open the pages in the web browser. I'm glad it has that functionality.

Tags
maemo 5, rss reader