I installed it -- starting up it seems a lot slower than the built in microb browser. However once it loaded it was "MUCH" faster and hugely more stable than the MicroB browser. I am very (very) impressed by it. It has some minor issues showing the back/forward button and the close button on the toolbar; no icons show up.

correction; apparently I was wrong initially when I posted this and Fennec and Minefield are two separate themes. Minefield is pretty much identical to firefox and can use standard extensions. Fennec is a themed firefox without much enabled. They BOTH use the same executable; but use different themes. So the memory usage and speed are equivalent.

Someone in the thread above mentioned the Diablo MicroB browser; the thing diablo doesn't have (and I'm "assuming" since I haven't played with it) is that the normal Firefox extensions just work with Minefield, in MicroB you had to have special non xul extensions. So, Minefield is like using firefox on your n810; everything works. TABS!, Places, toolbars, status bar; and best of all the standard ADD-ONs!!!

I installed both Adblock Plus and NoScript right from the Firefox extensions page and they seem to be working perfectly. MicroB requires specially designed non-xul extensions.

Even if Diablo's microb is in the same "speed" range as Fennec/Minefield, I'd pick Minefield since it acts like the STANDARD firefox rather than a limited crippled version.

Oh, and the Ram (even with the extensions load) and CPU usage based on the Load tool are less using Fennec/Minefield than MicroB. Which is always a good thing!!!

One thing against it; I'm not sure it can do flash right now -- it shows a missing plugin -- their might be a method to take the flash the microb does and apply its plugin to Fennec/Minefield. I didn't bother trying since I don't use flash anyways. But for completeness of my review; I figured I should mention it.

Install Link btw:
http://people.mozilla.org/~vladimir/fennec.install

-- Updated to make sure I used Fennec and Minefield where appropriate. ;-)

Last edited by Nathan; 2008-04-16 at 02:56.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
I tried it last week and it didn't play nicely with google reader - something I use way too often... It also didn't seem to play very nicely with gmail. I am looking forward to it's firther development though.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
[I]n MicroB you ha[ve] to have special non xul extensions. So, Fennec is like using firefox on your n810; everything works. TABS!, Places, toolbars, status bar; and best of all the standard ADD-ONs!!!

One thing against it; I'm not sure it can do flash right now -- it shows a missing plugin -- there might be a method to take the flash the microbuses and apply its plugin to Fennec. I didn't bother trying since I don't use flash anyways. But for completeness of my review; I figured I should mention it.
As someone who's way more excited about XUL than anyone else who's posted to the ITT forums, I'd have to say that Flash is the more likely sine qua non for tablet users.

And obviously you wouldn't be saying that about your Flash needs if you had made the same mistake I made and followed that thread about Flash games and downloaded too many of them and then played way too many of those too many. But then, as the saying goes, perhaps you don't have time for any minor vices. :-)

Roger

(Walks away, singing "I'm just a fool for XUL, it's cool, a tool for building neat stuff"...)

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by belder View Post
Will Mobile Firefox play radio station's streams from their web sites? Thanks!
Are you aware you can do that with microb with the mplayer plug-in?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

It just didn't work. The Fennec Icon don't start up the app.

Any clues?

Regards,

Taguapire.

edited. laalaalaa sorry

I'm just having a bad day..

Last edited by traveller604; 2008-04-13 at 19:55.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Does anyone know any working themes/extensions and what are the keyboard shortcuts on N810?

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
As someone who's way more excited about XUL than anyone else who's posted to the ITT forums, I'd have to say that Flash is the more likely sine qua non for tablet users.
LOL it isn't that I'm excited about XUL, its that I'm excited about using Standard MAINTAINED firefox extensions. The browser works faster and better than MicorB (in my experience) and supports extensions that will be maintained. That is a huge plus!!!

And obviously you wouldn't be saying that about your Flash needs if you had made the same mistake I made and followed that thread about Flash games and downloaded too many of them and then played way too many of those too many. But then, as the saying goes, perhaps you don't have time for any minor vices.
LOL, no I love games -- but for browsing I don't use flash -- man does that take a huge hit on the microb, and battery. If I want to play a flash game, I'm not opposed to opening microb. ;-)

Nathan.

The only problem with add-ons is the memory consumption (and CPU possibly) that they would use.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

As I stated above; MicroB was using more memory (& cpu time) then Minefield was w/ Adblock+ and noScript installed. ;-)

Having tabs, speed and standard extensions in a smaller footprint is very nice.

I assume that Diablo's browser would probably also see a dip in memory size since it should be using a beta engine (Like Fennec/Minefield) rather than a the early alpha that MicroB is using.

Nathan.

Last edited by Nathan; 2008-04-16 at 02:57.