Active Topics

Hi,

Ok, I have a new problem. I cannot ping my n800 or ssh into it from an outside PC. I have a linux box and windows box and neither work. I can ping any pc from the n800 to other boxes and any website that is up and running.

I can connect to my openvpn server from my n800, but I still cannot get any of my boxes to see the unit.

My dd-wrt router sees it on the LAN.

I nmapped it and could find no open ports.

I notice that iptables is on the unit. How do you open up the local LAN using iptable rules?

I am thinking that this is the problem unless someone else has an answer. And yes, I could connect to the unit last night just fine. In fact, that is how I install most of my applications on the n800 is through ssh.

It is showing my ssh port as filtered- meaning it is closed (just like the rest of the ports on my n800)

I doubt this will help your problem at all, but since you're running dd-wrt, set up the router to always give the n800 a specific IP via DHCP, and also to give it a hostname you can call it from any computer on the network. It's really handy.

About your problem though, it seems like something could be messed up with your router settings? I just nmap'd my n800 and it shows the ssh port at least. If you have any special settings on your router try disabling them temporarily. Also, a traceroute to the n800 might help.

I suppose if you want to make sure the openssh server is actually working on the n800 you can try sshing to the root user locally from the n800 terminal. Sorry I can't think of anything else for troubleshooting right now.

mudhoney@isis:~$ nmap holy-diver

Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-05-24 16:46 CDT
Interesting ports on holy-diver (192.168.1.102):
Not shown: 1713 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.337 seconds

Last edited by mudhoney; 2008-05-24 at 21:54.

Originally Posted by mudhoney View Post
I doubt this will help your problem at all, but since you're running dd-wrt, set up the router to always give the n800 a specific IP via DHCP, and also to give it a hostname you can call it from any computer on the network. It's really handy.

About your problem though, it seems like something could be messed up with your router settings? I just nmap'd my n800 and it shows the ssh port at least. If you have any special settings on your router try disabling them temporarily. Also, a traceroute to the n800 might help.

I suppose if you want to make sure the openssh server is actually working on the n800 you can try sshing to the root user locally from the n800 terminal. Sorry I can't think of anything else for troubleshooting right now.
Thanks for the reply. Assigned a static lease to the n800 since day one. Made sure router still had it set.

nmap gets this:

Scanning n800 (192.168.1.143) [1 port]
Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 16:16, 0.85s elapsed (1 total ports)
Host n800 (192.168.1.143) appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on n800 (192.168.1.143):
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp filtered ssh

and yes, ssh locally works. I have no idea what is going on.

I did an apt-get upgrade last night and remember seeing iptables come through, but it didnt affect me last night. Dont know why it is today...

iptables on the n800 is located in /sbin

This did not work either:

ipchains -F

The Following User Says Thank You to headlice For This Useful Post:
anyone have any ideas? Am I on the right track?

ended up reflashing device this morning

ok, new flash on my n800, and it's doing it again! Ssh was working but now it wont accept connections to standard port!

Did an apt-get --purge remove openssh & openssh-server and still nothing!!!

Has this happened to anyone else???

I'm glad I found this thread. It gave me the hint I needed to SSH in. For anyone else who has this problem in future, the command I needed to SSH in is:
ssh -p 22 root@192.168.1.102