Active Topics

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
It's in the extras-devel repository (non-optified and uses about 5M of rootfs), but may be unavailable currently due to the maemo.org server move.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Carlisle, PA
Use leafpad or vi. I suggest leafpad all the time because it is easy for newcomers because it is close to what wordpad is in windows and it is available in the extras repo, just enable it in app manager.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NUTNDUN For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Question about the "Reboot" button enabling.

If you open a Root Term and type "reboot" or "init 6" the file system is sync'd gracefully and it takes a few seconds to reboot. If you hit the "Reboot" button it is like you hit your N900 over the head with an Axe handle! Very abrupt and violent reset like the power was pulled.

I don't use that button. IT SCARES ME! And I don't scare easy! makes you wonder why it was disabled?

What do you guys think?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Warpt1 View Post
Hope this is the right place to request mods or hacks.
Two things I would like to see are:
1. Enable the FM receiver without the headphone plugged in.
Your best bet for this is going to be by building yourself a short antenna stub from scratch, since as qwerty12 points out, the headphones are your antenna... I'm vaguely considering doing just that though, so if I come up with any decent materials, I'll be sure to post here.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Question about the "Reboot" button enabling....
What do you guys think?
I am using Reboot, Soft poweroff and they are just fine.

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-16 at 03:11.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I am using Reboot, Soft poweroff and they are just fine.

bun
I'll admit it works, just like a bullet to the head.

I can't figure out for sure (read a lot in this forum about it) what are the differences between "Soft poweroff" and "Lock screen and keys". Both go to some form of sleep state afaik. Can someone who knows explain it in a sentence or two?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by rooted View Post
I can't figure out for sure (read a lot in this forum about it) what are the differences between "Soft poweroff" and "Lock screen and keys". Both go to some form of sleep state afaik. Can someone who knows explain it in a sentence or two?
Cant figure out the difference either.Any ideas anyone?

I was thinking to replace the command in systemui file to do a "xterm reboot" instead of an abrupt cycle. Anyone tried this?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Added this entry to the file:

<menuitem priority="5" name="RebootX">
<callback service="com.nokia.xterm" path="/com/nokia/xterm" interface="com.nokia.xterm" method="run_command" bus="session" autostart="true">
<argument type="string">/sbin/reboot</argument>
</callback>
</menuitem>

There is now a button RebootX but all is seems to do is start an xterm window, close it and start another one. I think the command needs root privileges...

Originally Posted by vartanov View Post
Added this entry to the file:

<menuitem priority="5" name="RebootX">
<callback service="com.nokia.xterm" path="/com/nokia/xterm" interface="com.nokia.xterm" method="run_command" bus="session" autostart="true">
<argument type="string">/sbin/reboot</argument>
</callback>
</menuitem>

There is now a button RebootX but all is seems to do is start an xterm window, close it and start another one. I think the command needs root privileges...
Mine did the same thing.

Might be able to cobble something together with low permissions with setuid possibly. But would not want to do that though.

Last edited by les_garten; 2010-01-16 at 20:57.

Tags
maemo mods, mods thread