Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Hmm, Fennec is not "desktop Firefox". So, I don't know why people seem to pointing to Fennec. How hard is it to run desktop Firefox on the n900? Just need to compile it for the ARM and mod it for the screen size (zooming/panning,etc), no? And wouldn't that be a real game changer? First mobile device with a full browser.
Yes, you sound like you are up to speed on the matter so beside the size customization what is the difference (Fennec v. Firefox)?

BTW I know that Fennec is merely the project name, but it would be interesting to find out what the differences truly are.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Hmm, Fennec is not "desktop Firefox". So, I don't know why people seem to pointing to Fennec. How hard is it to run desktop Firefox on the n900? Just need to compile it for the ARM and mod it for the screen size (zooming/panning,etc), no? And wouldn't that be a real game changer? First mobile device with a full browser.
Its already been done, there are various minefield builds for the tablets. It runs really well, but memory hungry and slowish. Very slow startup time.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've already had "desktop Firefox" running on the current tablets with Easy Debian for quite a while. It looks like it is pretty straightforward to get Easy Debian working on the N900, so you can have desktop Firefox running on it almost immediately.

But seriously. With the small screen on the N900, you really do want to use Fennec instead of desktop Firefox, which is supposed to have all the power of desktop Firefox (eg MicroB can't do Firefox Addons, but Fennec can).

I'll release Fremantle Easy Debian, just so everyone can learn why we need user interfaces that are optimized for handheld devices....

Hmm, I guess with TV-out, people can use the desktop interfaces more easily... We'll have to wait and see...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I wonder how fast Easy Debian will be on n900. Have you tried Fennec? The last time I tried it I ran back to MicroB like a frightened schoolboy. Most of the add ons that I use with FF haven't been converted to Fennec anyway. So what's the point? In desktop FF all that is needed is to convert the UI to MicroB style, just a larger address bar, forward/back, etc. I don't use the zoom/panning anyway. All my web pages fit on the screen in MicroB (3.5" n900 screen is going to suck). If I can get desktop FF running on a 166mhz/160mb Windows machine, I don't see why this can't be done on a n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
Not a fan of Fennec on my winmobile phone. It's too clunky, if that's a proper term.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
Not a fan of Fennec on my winmobile phone. It's too clunky, if that's a proper term.
Just wait until you try the latest version -- on Maemo, not WinMo. The hands-on demo (here, second pic) was pretty impressive.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Just wait until you try the latest version -- on Maemo, not WinMo. The hands-on demo (here, second pic) was pretty impressive.

Tim
Some phone company will have to carry it in the US first..... Though I'm sure the extra 100Mhz and higher res screen will help.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Somewhere out West
The deb. for desktop Firefox is here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52434 You can install some plugins and extensions that make it workable on the N800/N900. You can install the network tweaks and increase screen space, drag the screen addon. It buggy at times with flash but If we could fix this it would be my number 2 fav Browser.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'll release Fremantle Easy Debian, just so everyone can learn why we need user interfaces that are optimized for handheld devices....

Hmm, I guess with TV-out, people can use the desktop interfaces more easily... We'll have to wait and see...
And a mouse and a keyboard. But anyway, while I agree we do need user interfaces that are optimized for handheld devices from a usability POV, but at the same time I also think that not all software may be optimized for numerous reasons (time, expense, way too many number of options, etc..).

But that's why it's best to have a choice.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
fennec, n900