http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/05/...azines_fortune

"As the innovator of the original Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition in 2002 and the first Android smartphone in 2008, HTC believes the industry should be driven by healthy competition and innovation that offer consumers the best, most accessible mobile experiences possible," said Jason Mackenzie, vice president of North America, HTC Corporation, in a prepared statement. "We are taking this action against Apple to protect our intellectual property, our industry partners, and most importantly our customers that use HTC phones."
*watches patent nukes continue to fly everywhere in mobile space*

It reminds me of the end of world flash video that was circulating when I was in high school. You know, the one that almost ends with kangaroos surviving.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
The End of the World

Fire ze Missiles!

And yes, this is effectively patent MAD in action. Proof that patents are largely used to beat on competitors with and not to truly provide any "innovations" they claim.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Moved because thread subject is actually topical.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I'm sure the patent deal HTC recently made with Microsoft has given them some serious ammo to fight back with.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
We need to stock up on water, potatoes and smartphones...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
More detail about the patents.

http://www.crn.com/mobile/224701790

U.S. Patent No. 6,999,800: "Method for Power Management of a Smart Phone," issued on Feb. 14, 2006, and relating to a method for "independently managing the power in a smartphone containing both phone and PDA subsystems."

U.S. Patent No. 5,541,988: "Telephone Dialler [sic] with a Personalized Page Organization of Telephone Directory Memory," issued on July 30, 1996, and relating to a "telephone dialer than can store and access information in a telephone directory"

U.S. Patent No. 6,058,183: "Telephone Dialler [sic] with a Personalized Page Organization of Telephone Directory Memory," issued on May 2, 2000, also generally related to "a telephone dialer than can store and access information in a telephone directory"

U.S. Patent No. 6,320,957,"Telephone Dialler [sic] with Easy Access Memory," issued on November 20, 2001, and also generally related to a "a telephone dialer than can store and access information in a telephone directory

U.S. Patent No. 7,716,505, "Power Control Methods for a Portable Electronic Device," issued on May 11, 2010, and related to "a power control method for a smart phone."

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The last one was just awarded yesterday...

And two of the first four are essentially the same thing? (5,541,988 and 6,058,183)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I think most patents don't make any sense, but hey I don't work at USPTO.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
All these lawsuits...I really should become a lawyer