Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Notice the "extra border" in running app view on the nexus one it seems the app thumbnail size is hardcoded?
Thats a Nexus 7, not a Nexus one

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
It's not up to any community, forum or user to take contact with jolla. It's up to jolla to connect to the reality, communities and ultimately the end users, TMO is just a reflection of the end users, so if jolla will sell the phone to real people, and not a select few 'nerds'. they batter shape up the message and do it fast, because the endusers are not always nice and throwing money and good words at you.
Isn't it rather up to our community to connect with the reality? TMO is not a prominent place where people look for information, so why should they waste resources on establishing an official communication channel with TMO? You cannot reach many people this way.

For official communication, Jolla has always chosen to do it via events with press coverage, such as Slush, MWC, or their own press conference. You reach more people that way, instead of talking to a bunch of nerds on TMO. This is how Jolla got mentioned on Wall Street Journal, BBC, Engadget, various computer magazines, etc. Not by posting on a former Nokia forum, where the only people are N770, N8x0, N900 or N9 users; devices most people never even heard of.

Then there's mostly developer-related inofficial communication. If you want to get in touch with the developers, join the Sailfish or Mer mailing lists, or the Mer and Nemo IRC channels. This is where you get help with developing apps. I don't really see a lack of communication.

We already know...

* that the device will be released by the end of 2013
* how much it will cost
* where and how to preorder
* that it will feature some thing like "replaceable back covers on steroids"
* how the first device will look like (given that is will look similar to the prototype), including some hardware specs like screen size and dual core processor
* how to develop for Sailfish with the SDK
* that Sailfish Silica is under the BSD license (look at the SDK, or take this QML code and make it run on Nemo)
* that Sailfish is a UI on top of Nemo (if you look closely at the SDK)
* how Sailfish looks and feels as we can try it for ourselves in the SDK
* that Sailfish will run Qt5 apps (look at the presentations from the Qt Developer Day in China)
* the opensource side of Sailfish is called Nemo (just look at the Mer and Nemo change logs; lots of Jolla people working there together with the community)
* that Nemo runs fine on the N9(50) except for some hardware where Nokia did not and maybe is not allowed (since they don't own it) to release driver code
* that there will be an app store (look at the videos from the press conference)
* that the phone will be able to run Android apps via Myriad Alien Dalvik (one video of the press conference shows it in action)

... and a lot more I forgot here.

Did Nokia, or Google, or Apple, or Microsoft ever release so much information before launching a device or OS? Or were you ever able to get in touch with the developers directly on IRC or mailing lists with these companies?

Probably it's not a lack of communication (because there is no lack IMHO), but you're just pissed that Jolla doesn't come here and says, look, here's a complete image for your N9, so you don't have to buy our device.

Instead they want to sell you their own hardware with Sailfish because they somehow need to be profitable as a company, and they have to keep back some information because they are doing business in the mobile phone war zone, where one false step could be the end.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Isn't it rather up to our community to connect with the reality? TMO is not a prominent place where people look for information, so why should they waste resources on establishing an official communication channel with TMO? You cannot reach many people this way.

For official communication, Jolla has always chosen to do it via events with press coverage, such as Slush, MWC, or their own press conference. You reach more people that way, instead of talking to a bunch of nerds on TMO. This is how Jolla got mentioned on Wall Street Journal, BBC, Engadget, various computer magazines, etc. Not by posting on a former Nokia forum, .....
I think the users here are very connected to the realty don't you think? so in that sense TMO is automatically that too.

I don't think you grasping what I'm saying here. I'm not talking about ditching twitter, events or anything else that you listed. I'm talking about presence and with that It could be one post per month or less/more. It's not like the masses lining up to buy new devises from unknown brands. Jolla needs to go where the users are, I'm not saying TMO is the place, but mobile forums is a great start.

Take a look at windows(and dont make this to a OS discussion). They have a hard time to increase even 1 % of the market/year. How do you think jolla will make it the simply turtle in their offices, make a twitt or two and sometimes post something to there facebook site. Sure, its great. But to survive or grow in this market. ITS NOT ENOUGH. Time will teach you and jolla.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-06-30 at 11:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Maybe it will change once the device sells. But without a device, marketing would be only hot air.
And official communication is marketing. We can only wait and see.
For inofficial communication, collect the various pieces of information you get and connect the dots.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Just setup a new forum for fun to test a web2py based forum.

The testforum is located at 7b4.se ATM. The forum is for those who wanna test mer/nemo on N9/N950 or whatever. Seriosuly we don't have any forum atm for merproject as I see it...

Notice this new "fresh" forum is only for those intrested in merproject, nemo and sailfishos and the forum is just setup to push community forward. IMHO. I still say TMO has reached deadend. I don't say this testforum is the optimal solution. I only say try it. I prefer web2py because its easy to administate and add more features.

So go register Questions or discussions about Elop, Android or whatever crap is not allowed on this new forum.

http://7b4.se/merforum/default/index

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
nice mockup of the lockscreen made by a professional designer.

http://dribbble.com/shots/1136175-Jo...he-Lock-Screen

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
No, ancient video, some etard has just re-uploaded it to youtube.

no news from Jolla these days, how can they keep us interested until december?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'd say from October onwards we will start hear much more again....
Hopefully they'll share a few more interesting tidbits before then though, or they risk being outmarketed by the alternate OS's (let alone the major ones).
Canonical especially is very astute at it, Mark Shuttleworth styles himself after Steve Jobs, he knows what his doing in that area.
Already Ubuntu and Tizen has more mind-share, they can't afford to let that lead become too big...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-02 at 16:01.

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red