Poll: What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?
Poll Options
What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.
I find trying to press Ctlr-Shift-X with my little on the larger side fingers, anything but handy. Whoever came up with that impossible combination, must be, with all due respect, a lilliputian!

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.
Anyway to not have icon by default but still let us add it to desktop if we desire? How about a package that you could install that would add the icon?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Perhaps the next summit should revolve entirely around selecting the new name for the terminal.. ? (Sorry, couldn't help it )

But x-terminal is fine with me.

Originally Posted by brianez21 View Post
Let's go for a long and platform agnostic name like Command Line Interface ;-)
Almost. Command Line Interface Terminal ftw. Actually, I see no point in changing its name.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
I would go for plain "CLI".

Behind this we can hide BASH, ASH, CSH or whatever comes to your mind.

Would be cool if you could configure the shell which will be started by hitting the "CLI" button.

Cheers
Bjoern

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Oh, yeah, what about a dedicated key (à la Windows key) to boot the terminal? :P

Or to make it more device agnostic, what about this combination with the power key: long-short-short-long ("X" in Morse code) :P :P

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal

Well that key combo right now is pretty painful to do on the N900 keyboard while holding the device.
But i wouldn't mind having to enable the icon myself not to confuse my grandma who could buy the phone too :-)

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Or to make it more device agnostic, what about this combination with the power key: long-short-short-long ("X" in Morse code) :P :P
Absolutely!

But yes, a shortcut and no icon would be fine for me.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
What is so disturbing about the Icon...

There are many programs and Icons I don't know and I don't even know what to do with these apps... (like Facebook, Twitter and other such things...)

So I would like to have those Icons removed, cause they disturb skilled users...

I guess even the most stupid user figures out how to close the console application. All in all it is just another application and can be opened and closed as any other app.

Anyway, I was so amazed to see a X-Terminal without hacking around!

kind regards
Bjoern

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blubbi For This Useful Post:
If you are going to do that please choose a better shortcut. Also what if the next maemo device does not have a hard keyboard? (unless your indirectly giving up info lol). I'd be fine with hiding it though, maybe put in settings to show the icons.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
get a life, who cares :p, xterm, xterm you fools!