Poll: What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?
Poll Options
What do you think should be the user-visible friendly name for the terminal app?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
This would be in Brainstorm if it was fast enough to use comfortably, but as it isn't I'll post here. I think this is more for Maemo 6 than for current versions, as I can't imagine Nokia wishing to reprint manuals etc.).

My proposal is: Rename the "X Terminal" application to just "Terminal" (plus localisation equivalents if desired).

Some reasons: I know all about the original xterm which I first used back in 1992, but the Maemo X Terminal isn't related to that. This would fit in nicer with the other Maemo apps (Conversations, Web, Mail etc.). The X looks/sounds kinda geeky and doesn't really mean/add anything.

The underlying executable can stay the same, I'm just talking about how the app appears in the UI (launcher and its own title bar).

Last edited by pelago; 2009-12-16 at 16:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
How about leaving it with the X as a stamp of geekiness on an otherwise consumer device ?

I like xterm. But don't mind me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
lol, since we are at it, why don't we just call it DOS prompt

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Too long. Just call it the CLI. There cold be an appendix on the user manual where one could dig up the meaning.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Just curious: how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?

The purpose of the change being that pure end user don't have to wonder what to do with this, while power users and developers would have it just as handy.
I find it rather cumbersome to try and type ctrl+shift+x on my N900. Maybe if the shortcut were ctrl+alt(the arrow)+xl or alt+shift+x I wouldn't be so against the idea.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
how would you feel about Maemo 6 not having a terminal app in the application grid out of the box but having a Ctlr-Shift-X shortcut to boot the terminal?
Would be okay, as one would have to pull out the keyboard anyway to do anything useful in the X Terminal. The shortcut should be so that it's possible to activate with just two thumbs (and not so that the right thumb has to reach all over the keyboard from the right to reach the "X"). Right now, the Ctrl+Shift+X shortcut (that already works) is nice, but it's impossible to do without using three fingers. Maybe something like Ctrl+Bluekey+L (as in command "L"ine) could work. But of course, it depends on the hardware keyboard layout of the devices..

I would use the keyboard shortcut most of the time, but right now, the physical keyboard layout combined with the combination does not really make it that easy (maybe even on purpose?).

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I've added a poll to the top of the thread.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The idea is that a user would not type the shortcut accidentally. Imagine a pure end user that has never seen a command line getting xterm by surprise while typing an sms...

But still, are you saying that shortcut only would be fine (a secondary thing is which shortcut).

Tags
get a life, who cares :p, xterm, xterm you fools!