Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
I'm personally turned off that the N900 isn't even really out and Nokia is already pushing Maemo 6. It really is a device that should be ignored and not purchased since it's just a stepping stone to the next OS.

I would imagine that Nokia would actually like to sell some N900 units. So, why are they sending the feeling that they aren't really interested in Maemo 5 and have already moved on? I bet they want us to feel that things are moving forward, but in my mind, I'm being left behind.
Nokia isn't *pushing* Maemo 6; they are putting the product out there early enough so that developers can get on the ball towards (a) learning Qt, and (b) seeing what is possible and catching bugs before they become show-stoppers. The same thing was done with Maemo 5, and the same thing still across several other platforms.

By the way, if you've not had a chance, check out the roadmap. Things are moving along just as they were said to do *years* ago.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I'm personally turned off that the N900 isn't even really out and Nokia is already pushing Maemo 6. It really is a device that should be ignored and not purchased since it's just a stepping stone to the next OS.
Perhaps one of the issues with an open development process is that it takes focus off of your current offerings for those who are informed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Now *this* is news, esp. this early.

Now that it's outed, may I assume you can actually compile and run this somewhere apart from internal Harmattan SDK? Would there be a theoretical possibility to run directui apps on N900?

The Following User Says Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Nokia isn't *pushing* Maemo 6; they are putting the product out there early enough so that developers can get on the ball towards (a) learning Qt, and (b) seeing what is possible and catching bugs before they become show-stoppers. The same thing was done with Maemo 5, and the same thing still across several other platforms.

By the way, if you've not had a chance, check out the roadmap. Things are moving along just as they were said to do *years* ago.
Thanks for the information. I'm just a little frustrated still as, I believe, Nokia should be putting 100% into making killer apps, improving the current Maemo 5 OS, improving the developer tool kits before even really spending the time on Maemo 6. Is Maemo 5 even technically available on a product in the store yet? I'm not sure because I read that the date kept changing and was so turned off by the speculation, set backs, reviews, etc. that there isn't, what I feel is, one cohesive voice.

I tried to rally my friends around the N900, feeling that Maemo is finally moving into the spotlight that it deserved. But they ask questions like, is this program available for it, or that one, etc. The answer is, well, if someone wants to re-compile/update the program, it will work. But, of course, they and the general world wants it to be more turn-key. That's where I feel the time spent on Maemo 6 is being wasted when they can make those apps. Yes, Maemo 6 is important but can't it wait at least a month after the N900 is available?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Thanks for the information. I'm just a little frustrated still as, I believe, Nokia should be putting 100% into making killer apps, improving the current Maemo 5 OS, improving the developer tool kits before even really spending the time on Maemo 6. Is Maemo 5 even technically available on a product in the store yet? I'm not sure because I read that the date kept changing and was so turned off by the speculation, set backs, reviews, etc. that there isn't, what I feel is, one cohesive voice.

I tried to rally my friends around the N900, feeling that Maemo is finally moving into the spotlight that it deserved. But they ask questions like, is this program available for it, or that one, etc. The answer is, well, if someone wants to re-compile/update the program, it will work. But, of course, they and the general world wants it to be more turn-key. That's where I feel the time spent on Maemo 6 is being wasted when they can make those apps. Yes, Maemo 6 is important but can't it wait at least a month after the N900 is available?
Ah, I get you and that's probably the "communication" aspect of Maemo that needs to be worked on more than anything.

I'd pesonally not tell anyone that using Maemo is as simple as recompiling your application and then turning it on. There's just too much from different paradigms of use that should be considered. That being said, this framework makes it easier to do so, and for a developer-minded person, this is a good thing to know now - as developing in similar frameworks for Maemo 5 means that when 6 comes along that your work isn't wasted at all.

Could it have waited? Sure. But that would have also meant that Nokia should have waited until properly letting out Maemo 5 and the N900 at Nokia World instead of that pre-show publication. Times change and things happen, unfortnately, this is just as much true in marketing as it is in development.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Personally, I don't think I'd like to use the canvas concept. It looks like it would be too easy to get lost, and it seems like a long way to scroll corner to corner.

4 screens seems pretty optimal to me, but I'm just one user. How much testing have you done on this?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Munk, I started this thread in the Development forum with a link to a git repository. If you feel frustration is probably because you are not a developer and you are not familiar with open source practices.

Maemo 6 brings a new toolkit developed on top of Qt, and those understanding about platform development understand that the sooner we show code and concepts the better in order to get feedback from developers and start public iterations.

Also the Maemo 6 announcements yesterday are useful to Maemo 5 developers willing to work on applications right no but willing to know what are the mid term plans and in which direction to focus the current work.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
well said, qgil

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
in the end every device so far have been dev platforms and experiments, with increasing general customer involvement...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands

Nokia made or improved killer apps, and some issues in Maemo 5 (such as portrait mode browsing or lack of MMS) can be worked on by Nokia or community if problem & solutions are well outlined on Brainstorm. Think of evolution in this regard; not revolution. Ie 5.0.1 or 5.1.

Ofcourse Maemo 6 will do a lot different. That is why its 6 and not 5.1 or 5.5. Every major Maemo version brings huge changes. Meanwhile, Maemo 5 will be released with all the killer apps Nokia made or improved, as well as providing libraries and abstraction layers to be used in 3rd party applications. Heck, and the whole UI. I'd not expect UI be totally revamped again for Maemo 6. Tweaked a bit here and there, possibly, but not totally different. Many reasons for that. 1) its now finger touch meant to stay 2) HW can allow this (e.g. 2D/3D rendering), in future too 3) you don't want users to completely unlearn UI 4) last but not least you don't invest so much time and money into a UI to then completely abandon it. Unless its epic failure.

So in short, it is not only Nokia providing end-user software, they also invested a lot of time, energy, money, and love in 'under the hood' stuff. Not only UI. Location API, OpenGL, Gecko, iCalendar, UPnP-AV, AV codecs, etc etc. Maemo 6 switching to Qt and backwards compatibility worries me a little too, but I think the transition is meant to go smooth. Not as big as N8x0 -> N900 but rather N800 -> N810; or N900 -> N920 .

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: