Posts: 21 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
And in games? Is it really that necessary?
Amusingly, that's actually the only use case for multi-touch that I have personally. This feature is especially useful/necessary for console emulators where pressing a button + a direction makes a sprite dash/run instead of walk slowly. Other games also make use of two buttons for some functionality.

Sure it can be done on the keyboard (which is what I do currently on the N810), but holding the device and playing that way is quite cumbersome (IMHO). I'm imagining that the face multi-touch stuff (liqbase's specifically) might actually be sufficient though. I wish I had enough knowledge and skill to try it out

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by Jucato View Post
Amusingly, that's actually the only use case for multi-touch that I have personally. This feature is especially useful/necessary for console emulators where pressing a button + a direction makes a sprite dash/run instead of walk slowly. Other games also make use of two buttons for some functionality.

Sure it can be done on the keyboard (which is what I do currently on the N810), but holding the device and playing that way is quite cumbersome (IMHO). I'm imagining that the face multi-touch stuff (liqbase's specifically) might actually be sufficient though. I wish I had enough knowledge and skill to try it out
well, i have a PSP...and i think its similiar in terms of playing with buttons...rather than by touching the display..i for one think its better without touch for games, because if i play on the keyboard i can see better whats happening on the screen...and i think the keys are more accurate, despite how much sensitive the touch-screen is..so i don't really need multi-touch that much

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
rather than by touching the display..i for one think its better without touch for games, because if i play on the keyboard i can see better whats happening on the screen...
That's also true, but having your hands positioned that way (using the keyboard) is a bit awkward and tiring (at least for me. I get cramps. Maybe it's just the way I hold the thing). Also in the N900, there is no d-pad on the left, but cursor keys on the right. Of course you can just remap your keys...

Either way, not having multi-touch on the N900 is not a big deal breaker for me. My only hesitation is that by the time I get my hands on one, the next device might be out, and lo and behold, it would be a N900 plus multi-touch!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. At mobile-review there is a talk about Eldar talking something about N900's screen having a "surprise" with it but I just can't bring myself to believe it is "stantum technology" or something multitouch related.
Maybe he meant the haptic touch?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by qole View Post
hm and what exactly does this do? i tried to wiki it, but didnt understand much

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
All touch devices made by Nokia with s60v5 come with tactile feedback, therefore I don't think is worth calling a "surprise".

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
It bothers me knowing that I spent that much money (nearly 650 € in total cos I bought a 16gb card) and cant even update my phone with a future release.

Even though I complain much about Apple, they always update their mobile OS version. They do not have the same range of devices as Nokia of course, but this is not a valid excuse...

I hope Nokia thinks about this.

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
It bothers me knowing that I spent that much money (nearly 650 € in total cos I bought a 16gb card) and cant even update my phone with a future release.

Even though I complain much about Apple, they always update their mobile OS version. They do not have the same range of devices as Nokia of course, but this is not a valid excuse...

I hope Nokia thinks about this.
well, i think you have to look at this a bit differently... iPhone is just one platform/one OS, on its own...whereas with Nokia phones you have several (s40, s60, s60 3rd, s60 5th, maemo) which are different from each other. Now, what Apple does/did, is update the OS, which in the core was nothing more then a big firmware update. Nokia does firmware updates for their products quite often. What they though don't do, is a OS upgrade (which anyway can't be done). I mean, you can't make a S40 phone become a S60 device by upgrading the OS, its about hardware and the market as well -> range of devices by Nokia. It's easy as that, like if you wanted to upgrade the OS of a N70 to the OS of a N97, you can't. If you could upgrade any phone to any OS version, there would only 10 major brands with only 1 phone from each ;-)

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
I thought maemo 5 also supports multitouch?

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
I tought maemo 5 also supports multitouch?
people expect too much these days...
expect less, be surprised more...

Multi-touch and gestures will come with Maemo 6 and Symbian 4..

Last edited by Jack6428; 2009-09-09 at 20:07.

Tags
future, gestures, harmattan, maemo, maemo 6, multitouch, qt framework, speculation