Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
ok, so harmattan is going to be based on qt
its gonna be a lot of work, i've done some thinking and made a list of things which we currently have and take for granted in Maemo 5 GTK

things which are either mobile platform specific, or simply maemoisms
if Nokia are intent on building the OS these will have to be incorporated.

The other big issue is whether to remain compatible with Symbian variation of Qt and whether the work will be going on in parallel there to try to make their Qt branch work well.

I am not even worrying here about the UI style or whatever other stuff I normally concern myself with, these are key stages required for an operating system.

desktop widgets: is there a set qt classes for those?

desktop notifications: are there classes for these?

control panel applets: can i make a control panel in qt and control the hardware?

contacts: are there contact management classes (which are compatible with symbian/win/lin etc)

telephony: can i capture record integrate my application with the telephone stack to do custom things (record calls, divert, call out)?

text messaging: can you send a text message, receive one?

email messaging: is it possible to send emails or manage your inbox?

IM messaging: can i handle the IM stuff?

audio: can i play and record audio?

camera: can i access the cameras (using gstreamer if necessary)?

accelerometer: can i make these in qt now? is there qt classes/functions for accelerometer?

bluetooth: can i start/accept bluetooth transfers using qt?

selection dialogs: are there decent friendly dialogs for fonts/color/files/XYZ

network management: can i handle coming on and off the network with ease?

gps/location: is there GPS management?

sync: can i sync correctly with XYZ systems?

gaming: is the opengles surface upto spec to use?

compass: this is a generic *new hardware on new device* item, is it easy to add new hardware functionality to the classes

Inter Process Communication: is it possible to talk with other qt/standard applications on the system?

x11 compositing: since its stated GTK will become community driven but not removed, there should be some support for subsystem compositing and integration into the harmattan desktop.

Rotation support: it has been stated this will come but it will help to list it here to keep it together.

what have i missed?

I know there are more, and they all need handling in a Qt cross platform manner, or the qt-creator on Windows will b0rk and we wont be able to test our apps.

12months is not a lot of time.

a shortcut answer to some of these may be to integrate and clone the easy api from python which may supply a fairly simplistic api:
http://easy.garage.maemo.org

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
http://qt.nokia.com/developer/qt-roadmap

Read the "2010" column, it has some answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
yeah it covers a lot, thanks
this started as a direct reply in the "[Sandbox] An easy way for a Windows user to start developing in Qt for Maemo 5" thread, i just didn't want to throw it away so put it in the correct place.

mms messaging by default?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
This is clearly from a developer PoV I think, which is an interesting question I say.

Also, Nokia seems to have stated some times that not all of the current Glib-like APIs will be dropped. Since Glib itself has appeared some times in the "Harmattan architecture overviews".

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
We wil answers these and more questions basically through Harmattan SDK pre-releases. Just like we did with the Fremantle pre-releases, only better.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Checkout and build the docs for http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework if you can't wait for the SDK. Obviously the ui toolkit is probably the biggest difference.

Quim you should post the chart from your GCDS presentation comparing the maemo 5 and 6 frameworks every time this thread comes up.