1. How does it handle youtube? differences between n800 and n810.

2. How does it handle graphic/flash heavy sites like engadget....smooth scrolling yet?

Thanks!

1) what I've seen in comments elsewhere is that its much better now; not quite PC experience yet, but watchable (without having to wait for the whole thing to download fist)

2) a Nokia (affiliated) guy on Ari Jaaksi's blog said there is still some tearing, but that it is better too - or something along those lines. And we need to remember the OS is not even out yet.

go to phonedog and he has a breakdown of the youtube experience..SMOOTH BABY!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It does look smooth, but the video he is playing doesn't really have much motion anyways. It should be just as smooth on the N800 after the IT2008 update.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
One more comment: Even if you select some (too) high resolution online flash video, the sound continues to play smoothly. Only frames will be dropped that the CPU can not decode in time...

In contrast, on old OS the sound is choppy in same situation...

I just saw a video on youtube that demo'd some of the browser usage. They definitely have the video hardware enabled in 2008. I think I'm about to plop down $479 next month when it launches

All I wanted was a smooth experience, and it seems they delivered on it. Now they just need an inertia scrolling option if you use your finger. That would be sexy.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I just saw a video on youtube that demo'd some of the browser usage. They definitely have the video hardware enabled in 2008. I think I'm about to plop down $479 next month when it launches

All I wanted was a smooth experience, and it seems they delivered on it. Now they just need an inertia scrolling option if you use your finger. That would be sexy.
I'll bet Apple has a patent on inertia scrolling. Doesn't mean it can't be hacked in the browser, but I doubt it will be default.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Only as an option, please. It's got to be the most annoying new UI change over the last 10 years.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Only as an option, please. It's got to be the most annoying new UI change over the last 10 years.
I also questioned inertial scrolling for web browsing. For finding songs, it makes sense, since there is just so much to go through and non-inertial scrolling would make it feel like you're dragging it. But for websites, I don't see an advantage. Imagine moving your scroll wheel on your mouse to view a website, and the scrolling just doesn't end until you have to stop it yourself.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
They definitely have the video hardware enabled in 2008.
They definitely don't according to Nokia's David Weinehall:

http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2007/10/n...35134089328945