I was in downtown San Jose eating lunch today and a guy sitting at the table next to me was playing with a N810 showing it to two other guys at the table. As the first reviews have mentioned, the device is really slim and attractive IMHO. I struck up a conversation with the owner and he said he was a Nokia employee.

I already have an iPod touch and have been contemplating getting a N800, especially with the recent price drops. After seeing the N810 in person, I'm going to wait until the N810 is out and pick one up.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
LOL. Is this for real? You know that scenario is an electronic device urban legend, right? We saw the same reports for the iPhone...

For real. Streetside table at Zanattos market on S. 2nd St. @ around 12:45pm. I asked him if he had to wait until it was officially announced before using it in public and he nodded yes.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
It can very well be real... but the person who owned it didn't follow very carefully Nokia prototype tester policies...

I too saw N800 before it was announced... so I believe you.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, I remember when the N800 photos were leaked, and I was trying to do damage control... *sigh*. LOL.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah, I remember when the N800 photos were leaked, and I was trying to do damage control... *sigh*. LOL.
It sure make me wonder how it become so.. well cool even though leaked pictures looked sadly ugly.

BTW, he did seem a bit surprised that I knew what he had.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
By 'damage control', TexRat means tracking down all copies of the cropped picture and removing the EXIF data that showed him in his boxers scratching himself when he took the original uncropped pic

Actually, it's not all to uncommon to see that type of thing out in the wild. There were pics someone snapped of an Apple employee on a train that was being less than discreet about using it. What's better than having access to the latest gear before general consumers can get it? Showing it off.

Well time has shown that engadget's early leak shots of the 810 were pretty much right on the nose. So catching one streetside post-announcement is hardly outside the realm of possibility.