Notices

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
I have the latest maemo mapper on my n800 however I just wanted to know from anyone who's tested both, having used Navicore, is maemo mapper good enough for your gps navigation needs. I have a BT GPS Reciever already. Is it worth buying Navicore GPS software; does it do a lot more than maemo mapper or do anything alot better? Of course the obvious stuff are the maps are delivered ready to be used rather than downloading each region with maemo mapper(which I have done using winmapper on my xp partition). Besides the maps, easier GUI and setting up on Navicore, what justifies paying $150+ for it? Is it worth getting?

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
It has a car charger that works with the N800 and the GPS, a car windshield mount, and a 2GB memory card. It also is made specifically for road use. Take a look at my review.

I'll have to install the latest maemo mapper this weekend to give you an accurate side-by-side.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
It has a car charger that works with the N800 and the GPS, a car windshield mount, and a 2GB memory card. It also is made specifically for road use. Take a look at my review.

I'll have to install the latest maemo mapper this weekend to give you an accurate side-by-side.
What do you mean by latest? Do you have any 2.0 preview?

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Thanks Thoughtfix, that would be a great review.

I would also be interested in a seeing a comparison of Maemo Mapper and Navicore. The cost of Navicore in the UK though is about $300+ rather than the $150+ mentioned in the initial post and therefore it seems expensive when compared to Maemo Mapper or even a dedicated device.

I've used Navicore on my N80i in the Middle East and it worked great and the maps were pretty up-to-date and detailed with POI information including a speed camera database.
I can only speak for Navicore's maps and not the actual N800 software.

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
I have the latest maemo mapper on my n800 however I just wanted to know from anyone who's tested both, having used Navicore, is maemo mapper good enough for your gps navigation needs.
I don't have Navicore, but if it's comparable to how a standalone GPS works, the key differences to look for would be having the maps pre-loaded, so that you don't need a net connection, a large set of useful, searchable POIs, and routing information built-in to the maps, allowing offline route calculation (and possibly on-the-fly recalculation).

Perhaps someone can confirm if Navicore has these features.

Having said that, despite having a separate GPS (and no bluetooth), I still tiknk Maemo Mapper is a great application, just to use as a map viewer!

The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I have Navicore and it works great on the N800. The car mount was a nice bonus. Yes, the maps are pre-loaded, so that you don't need a net connection, and routing information is built-in to the maps, allowing offline route calculation. It also does on-the-fly recalculation of routes and waypoints quite nicely. I have not used maemo mapper and so can't compare with that. Navicore does have phone tech support which I used when updating.

Originally Posted by darbax View Post
I would also be interested in a seeing a comparison of Maemo Mapper and Navicore. The cost of Navicore in the UK though is about $300+ rather than the $150+ mentioned in the initial post and therefore it seems expensive when compared to Maemo Mapper or even a dedicated device.
Amazon.co.uk are currently doing the Navicore pack with a 770 for £170 (or thereabouts). If you already have an IT (and I'm guessing you do) you could always chuck the 770 on ebay.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Navicore on the 770 is not bad. But you shouldn't make the mistake and update the software. The new version (which looks identical to the N800 version) seems a bit unstable (crashed twice on me while driving when doing a re-routing). The previous version didn't have this problem. Also the new version seems to demand more RAM and sometimes I can only start the program after a complete reboot. Even with 64 MB of swap space enabled.