Notices

A few weeks ago I installled a cron daemon for the nokia n800 (my IT was running the latest 2007 OS at the time).

This worked great. I had all my podcasts being managed through bashpodder at 3am and running the Canola SD card scanner at 4am. This worked better than gpodder - all the latest podcasts were immediately playable in Canola by the time I woke up each morning.

However, now that I've just installed the new 2008 OS firmware I tried to install the cron daemon again - but, the installation page has gone missing...

I downloaded it from:
http://www.anomaly-music.com/cron/

The google cached page still gives the instructions at:
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Can anyone please tell me where to install cron now that this version has disappeared?

You can find André on myspace dot com/anomalymalta for cron. He might still have a copy.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Originally Posted by darbax View Post
...Can anyone please tell me where to install cron now that this version has disappeared?
I have attached the file for you, darbax. It would not let me upload it as a 'gz' file, so I just added the '.zip'; you can just remove it.[I did not actually zip it]
Attached Files
File Type: zip cron.tar.gz.zip (53.5 KB, 475 views)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ichmoimeyo For This Useful Post:
Thanks ichmoimeyo

Please don't be offended ichmoimeyo, (i'm just being paranoid, I guess) but what are peoples' thoughts regarding security when installing apps as root that are obtained from the ITT forum?

There are no guarantees of open-source applications being malware-free, but it feels safer to download apps via maemo.org or download an already established application that has its own domain.

Perhaps in some cases like this one, the source-code can be made available on the maemo.org website and downloaded and compiled on the device itself?

Am I being too paranoid or does anyone else agree?

Also, if anyone can please advise on how to go about obtaining the source-code for cron and compiling on the device itself that would be much appreciated. I only have windows - can scratchbox be installed on windows (or via Cygwin) ?

Found this old post, but this seems to fit.

Does anyone know if this cron port support @reboot and the other @commands?
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Hey all,

Sorry for the mess I left cron in. Over the past year, I lost my hard drive, moved country (twice) and started a PhD. A few months ago, the account I was hosting cron in expired without me having backed it up.

It was never hosted on maemo.org because I was told to include it in the MUD builder project, which I never had time to do.

I'll try and be more responsible from now on

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
Thanks for putting it out there to begin with

Cheers. On a completely unrelated note, travelling often has left me utterly dependent on the tablet (but rather too busy to check ITT that frequently!)

André

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Linux noob question here: Aren't crontabs part of the Linux OS? Do I really have to install Cron in order to use crontabs?

Why do I ask? Because I've never installed from a gz file and wonder if maybe I don't have to make cron my first. I'm looking to install the cron + aumix solution to muting the IT overnight.

Thanks guys,
DF
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
It was my first gz installation too and, besides some trouble, finally everything worked fine. See the other thread, the one about aumix and cron.