Seems quite tempting. Target has the pepper pad available for $499. First time customers can use TGTSAVE3 to save 10%.

Link here Pepper Pad

Specs
Browse the web; keep and organize your bookmarks and webpage clippings
• Handheld PC; Linux Hardware Platform
• 20GB Capacity
• 256.0MB
• Intel PXA270 Processor
• 8" 800x600 Touchscreen Display Display
• 802.11g Wireless Capabilities
• Features: Built-In Microphone, E-Mail Capabilities, Internet Browser, Music/Video Playback

More of a compliment then competition to the 770. Unfortunately at this price point one starts to hit laptop range and because of the size and weight of the pepper pad, one has to wonder if moving to a laptop with linux isn't a better way to go.

Review of the unit: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Pepper-Pad.htm

Last edited by bac522; 2007-01-09 at 19:00.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Is that the "old" Pepper? If so, my advice would be: "Don't touch it".

Gotta chime in with Karel. If this is version 2 of the Pepper then it doesn't even have USB 2.0. Imagine having to fill up 20 gigs at USB 1.1 speed?

Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
Gotta chime in with Karel. If this is version 2 of the Pepper then it doesn't even have USB 2.0. Imagine having to fill up 20 gigs at USB 1.1 speed?
It is indeed the older version. Karel, any specific reasons why this thing should be avoided. The review seem quite good.

The specs mention usb 1.1. I dont think that is a great deal breaker for me. Just let it beconnected overnight if you want to Xfer large files. In my case, its mostly music or videos and most of the files need to sync'ed only once.

DaScud

When I read the review of the Pepper Pad 2, at the time, it just seemed to have a lot of shortcomings, usb speed being one of them. Battery life is not great, most people don't like the rubber button keyboard halves on the side, it is only somewhat more portable than a similar-sized laptop with much greater power.

Of course, the price of this one makes up for those things, up to a point.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by DaScud View Post
It is indeed the older version. Karel, any specific reasons why this thing should be avoided. The review seem quite good.

The specs mention usb 1.1. I dont think that is a great deal breaker for me. Just let it beconnected overnight if you want to Xfer large files. In my case, its mostly music or videos and most of the files need to sync'ed only once.

DaScud
I'd avoid it for the same reason I'd tell people not to buy a 770: the new one is much better and doesn't cost all that much more.

For one thing, PP3 has a "regular" Intel CPU, therefore runs an almost standard Linux distro and will run any x86-compiled software.

You can also look here: http://www.pocketables.net/pepper_pad_3/index.html