Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Rochester, NY
Hi Gang, I'm not sure if the newbie forum is the best place for this post. Mods, if this is better for General Discussion feel free to move it. I am posting it here because I have had my N800 less than a month now, so I am still a newbie with this device.

First a bit about myself so you can understand where I am coming from. I am a geek and gadget junkie. I am not a programmer of any sort but I am what I consider a power user. I am adept at Linux, Unix, OS X, And all flavors of MS Windows.

The following is my wish list. Things I wish the N800 could do, or do better. If any of these are possible please post a reply explaining. Thanks.

#1 Skype. The Jabber video chat client is nice but, Skype is the dominant Video Chat network in the world. This device, especially with its built in camera would shine with skype. Pidgin is awesome on this, but until it gets native cam support, we need Skype.

#2 Better Cam Support. The add on program that lets you take snap shots with the built in cam is nice, but what about movies? What about websites like ustream (flash video sites) having access to the web cam. The cam seems to be locked down to just the one app, and the snap shot application feels like its a bit of a hack. Why? Open it up Nokia! This could be a hell of a mobile net cam platform.

#3 Better Battery Life. Boy WiFi really sucks the life out of this thing. About 3 hours of constant use and its toast. I would have thought it better being an all flash product.

#4 PIM Support. I know I know Nokia has said they don't want this to be a PDA, but come on. If your using it to check your email eventually you will need to respond to an email with some Calendar info, boy it would be nice if this had some sort of PIM that could sync (preferably with a mac please). I have tried using google calendar for that but it doesn't format or work well on this device. If not a full blown PIM then better WebCal support is a must.

#5 PodCast Support. This is such a beautiful Screen it would be great if it natively supported quicktime and h264 (what most podcasts use). Being able to drag and drop a video podcast from iTunes to a memory card would be hot!

#6 A Better Clock. We have an amazing large screen and the only clock program displays the time in a small corner of the screen. How about an cool retro alarm clock mode that uses the whole screen, making this a great nightstand companion (especially when plugged in.)

#7 More Virtual Memory. With SD Cards getting high capacities and faster read write speeds, limiting the virtual memory function to 128mb is handicapping the device. I don't know what the max is that this system can handle, but I'd love to see 512mb or even a 1gb option there.

Ok Thats all I have got for now, like I said If one of these wishes has already been addressed feel free to tell/link me. If there is a better place to post this list let me know, and feel free to add to it too, then maybe we'll take it over to the official Nokia forums.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
I'd add to that support for more modern versions of flash, and in a future release a jog dial or perhaps a scroll ball (kinda like on the apple mightymouse or higher end blackberry phones) to facilitate horizontal and vertical scrolling.

The Following User Says Thank You to docnesh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by docnesh View Post
I'd add to that support for more modern versions of flash, and in a future release a jog dial or perhaps a scroll ball (kinda like on the apple mightymouse or higher end blackberry phones) to facilitate horizontal and vertical scrolling.
The lagging flash support might be whats keeping the webcam from being useful on flashbased webcam sites like ustream.tv. Good pick up.

Scrolling is tough sometimes since the UI doesn't increase the scroll bars for finger use, forcing you to use the stylus. Maybe just change the Ui to detect a finger scroll bar...

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
I'm a bit nearsighted so its par for the course for me to have to scroll a webpage horozontally AND vertically when reading something, like this forum for example

--Jeff

#3: Well, you won't find many wi-fi devices that can do much more than 3 hours of active use. I get about 4 hours from my N800. My PDA gets about 20 minutes.. and the N800 can stay online for much longer. A couple of days or thereabouts. Very unusual.
#7: You're experiencing out-of-memory problems then? I'm curious about what applications you run. Myself, I haven't even enabled swap space, so I'm running with just the 128MB of RAM as VM. Never had an out-of-memory error. But I usually don't run more than 3 apps at the same time.

My wishlist for today:
a) Global panorama/landscape support.
b) Some of the applets waste way too much space. When it isn't allowed to arrange them in an overlapping pattern, then there must exist no limits to how small they can be adjusted. Some applets refuse to be reduced below a certain limit, wasting lots of space (clock applet in digital mode), others are good citizens (3party small launcher).

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
#7: You're experiencing out-of-memory problems then? I'm curious about what applications you run. Myself, I haven't even enabled swap space, so I'm running with just the 128MB of RAM as VM. Never had an out-of-memory error. But I usually don't run more than 3 apps at the same time.
Actually no, I haven't hit that problem yet, but I am anticipating it, especially if intensive apps like skype get ported to it. I just don't see the advantage to restricting it, it has to be a barrier to some apps/programmers.

I don't think Skype will be all that much more demandong than Googletalk. I have faith that the programmers will lnow what scripts to run and what scripts are completely useless at certain times. Then again I dount i'll be using skype unless its free. I don't want my n800 to replace my cell phome just yet, maybe bur not yet. Its a lot bulkier than my L7, so carrying it around isn't the most pleasant thing in the world.

Originally Posted by Wolfman-K View Post
Actually no, I haven't hit that problem yet, but I am anticipating it, especially if intensive apps like skype get ported to it. I just don't see the advantage to restricting it, it has to be a barrier to some apps/programmers.
Well, first of all, let's wait (and see) for those applications first. It's bad to "optimize" based on assumptions.

Secondly, the limit is artificial, it's only in the UI. You can add as much swap as you want, using the direct Linux methods (there are other such arbitrary values in the UI, for example screen timeouts which can in practice be set to anything).

Thirdly, swap space is meant to keep the system going in peak situations, it's not like it's something you want permanently going on. If you have an application which needs so much room that more of its virtual memory consists of swap than of RAM then you will have severe performance problems, as well as hitting the flash memory hard (lots of cell wear). If you really need that much swap in a nominal situation then either a) the application must be rewritten to need less memory, or b) if the N800 applications come to need that much memory then the device will have to be equipped with more RAM. Time for the N900, in other words.

So far I would say the 128MB RAM in the N800 is quite sufficient, could even be considered quite large (compared to most PDAs, for example), unlike the 64MB in the 770 which was probably a bit on the small side. If you add 128MB swap then you have a total memory size of 256MB, and having more than half of it as flash isn't particularly useful/efficient anyway, as explained above. In other words, I think the UI limit of 128MB swap is reasonable.

More games!!! More optimized/new emulators!!!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
PenOffice and/or Calligrapher!!!!

Dangit.