Active Topics

Hi. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I have a lot of those. I'm new to Linux and the N810 so I don't know if this is possible but will the N810 boot verbose? I'd much rather see the boot process than those silly hands reaching out for one another when I start up. Thanks.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
http://wiki.maemo.org/Advanced_booting

lbt documented my steps to do this on the wiki. thanks to fanoush.

i've got a youtube of the n800 verbosely booting...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Ok... kind of scary. I was hoping it was simple as writing verbose = yes in a file somewhere. Sometime when I'm sufficiently brave (drunk) I'll try it. I trust if I brick my device I can restore?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Sure is a bit scary or at least so complex that it seems like more trouble than the end result is worth. FYI, the N810 uses so little juice when idling that you'll get longer battery life if you leave it on rather than shutting down as you would with a laptop. I charge my N810 once a day and don't turn it off. I've yet to get to a low battery state.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Sure is a bit scary or at least so complex that it seems like more trouble than the end result is worth.
Sure but anyone who asks for such verbose mode deserves this :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Open source provides lots of options for users with technical know how. I do however find "deserving any feature they desire" as questionable. Users are entitled to the rights outlined in the license and as developers also have obligations. As a user of open source, "appreciating the efforts of others" seems more appropriate.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I do however find "deserving any feature they desire" as questionable.
I don't understand that sentence in the context here. Anyway, what I meant is that verbose boot messages are too technical and useless for any 'normal' tablet user (i.e. not unix nerd). Nokia tried very hard to hide them for good reason. If someone wants or needs them (s)he is unix geek and thus 'deserves' such additional complexity and hopefully has no problem with that.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
seems like the wiki is down, im getting only empty page on that link...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
FYI, the N810 uses so little juice when idling that you'll get longer battery life if you leave it on rather than shutting down as you would with a laptop.
And whatever you do, don't charge it while turned off! It is more costly to charge while nominally "off" than when "sleeping"! Why? The screen stays on the whole time the tablet is supposedly off!

I discovered this the hard way when trying to charge from a battery pack.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by qole View Post
And whatever you do, don't charge it while turned off! It is more costly to charge while nominally "off" than when "sleeping"! Why? The screen stays on the whole time the tablet is supposedly off!

I discovered this the hard way when trying to charge from a battery pack.
hmm, i was planing to write that this was controllable, but then i notice that the setting i had in mind only works when the device is fully booted...