770 went out a month after purchase (which was the middle of august..)
been busy, just now sent the unit back (on the 4th) with the printed out pdf and a copy of the receipt...hopefully it comes back soon...

(btw, how does nokia return the units? fedex, ups, usps?)

Last edited by mattsqz; 2006-12-12 at 23:25.

Repair History:

Status Date Status
12/12/2006 Awaiting Parts
12/11/2006 Received

it is now the 28th..called them yesterday and they said to give it another week..hope im not getting the runaround.

Repair History:
Status Date Status
01/12/2007 Repair in Progress
12/12/2006 Awaiting Parts
12/11/2006 Received

finally!!!!

gah..this is ********.

they said i can either wait indefenitely, or fax them a copy of the receipt and theyll issue me a refund...

i asked if they can just send me a new one instead of a refund, and they said no. wtf?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Aren't you better off with a refund? You can then buy another 770 and get a full 1 year warranty, or buy a N800 for $40 more, or spend the cash on something else entirely.

It is odd that Nokia can't repair or replace it - does this suggest 770s and their parts are in short supply? Or maybe this is Nokia policy to refund rather than replace, with the side benefit being a potential migration of 770 users to N800.

It's when I hear stuff like this that I'm thankful I'm living in a country where there are laws about such things.. they have a week or so to figure out if they can fix it, if they can't they are by law required to give me a new one. Oh, they all try to wriggle out.. but they can't.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
It's when I hear stuff like this that I'm thankful I'm living in a country where there are laws about such things.. they have a week or so to figure out if they can fix it, if they can't they are by law required to give me a new one. Oh, they all try to wriggle out.. but they can't.
What country might that be, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm also experiencing first hand the glacial pace of Nokia's US repair facility. Ten days now after signing for my incoming unit, and they still haven't even logged it into the repair database.

By comparison, my independent Honda mechanic replaced my transmission in one working day. Of course, there's a difference - he has competition, and cares whether I come back or not.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
It is odd that Nokia can't repair or replace it - does this suggest 770s and their parts are in short supply? Or maybe this is Nokia policy to refund rather than replace, with the side benefit being a potential migration of 770 users to N800.
Sometimes repairs don't make sense for a certain issue, or there are logistics hurdles. The latter tend to be compounded by corporate bureaucracy. Unfortunate, and no real excuse, but it happens.

I don't get the lack of replacement option though...

i will try to call them tomorrow, as i do not work on thursday...maybe i can talk to someone that will be able to get me a working unit...

i am hesitant to accept a refund, as i have heard others getting only $250 in refund for a device that costs $350..that would be unacceptable.

Dear Matt,

Thank you for e-mailing the Nokia Care Contact Center.

We regret to hear of the delays you have experienced regarding the repair of your Nokia 770 Internet tablet.

Matt,for the quickest possible resolution to your request for the repair status of your Nokia 770 Internet tablet, please contact us at your earliest convenience. You can reach the Executive Resolution Team, directly at 1-800-xxx-xxxx, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. If you prefer, you can reply with your daytime phone number and we will contact you. We look forward to working with you to resolve this issue.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us. To ensure proper handling, please continue to use the current subject line.

Thank you for choosing Nokia for your mobile needs.

Charlie
Executive Resolution Team
Nokia Inc.

maybe ill finally get somewhere? can someone tell me what the executive resolution team is..