Notices

Good afternoon fine people of TMO.

I am always around since a couple months before my n900 purchase (june 2010) and visit here daily on hopes that we get some deserved updates and stuff.

I have many disappointments with my n900, but have a LOT of things that I know only the n900 can do. I wouldn't live without it's multitask, for example.

But one thing my old e71 (and really, any feature or smartphone from the last 10 years or so) did better was email. Modest is simply TOO slow.

I use GMAIL and keep mostly everything in my inbox and it is not a problem for ANY other phone/program.

I did an easy test today, clicked my inbox and then turned on my PC, selected windows on my multi-boot selection screen, let it load, opened Chrome and logged into my email, and actually READ a couple of emails before my n900 opened my inbox.

Now, this is what is presented in bug 11139 (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11139) but I am using PR1.3 (and CSSU on top of that) and the problem is still there!

There are several threads on this, but I didn't want to necro anything, so I created this new one.

The worst part of it all is that, after waiting all that time when I open an email (another very slow task) and want to go back to the inbox, it takes almost as long as the first time!

When I try to check my email from my n900 and don't use webmail I may take up to 5 min just to read a couple of emails and this is unacceptable in my opinion.

Bottom line and

TL; DR:

Should I vote for the reopening of BUG 11139, open a new BUG? Is this only me? Are there others with this kind of problem?

Thank you all for your time and patience?

Last edited by jotoco; 2011-04-11 at 20:02.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Tahiti
Check an app called MobWebMail by Crochik.
It works much better.

I did try modest for Gmail as well (I have two accounts) and never was satisfied with the speed, either using IMAP or Nokia messaging.

Hi,
imobwebamil instalaltion failure. I hope that next cssu fix this bug

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
Hi, sorry to hijack your thread, but I don't want to create a thread because of silly question.
So I give up of using modest completely, is it possible to stop the modest daemon run after every reboot?
I have try to stop modest using initctl as suggest in this thread, but it can't find modest's daemon.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40826

any idea?
Is it safe to stop modest? No other program depends on modest right?

Originally Posted by sLumPia View Post
Hi, sorry to hijack your thread, but I don't want to create a thread because of silly question.
So I give up of using modest completely, is it possible to stop the modest daemon run after every reboot?
any idea?
I'd like to know this too.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by sLumPia View Post

Here is the thread regarding removing packages from stock systems.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82641

Best to continue over there I think.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post: