Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That objection is purely emotional and not based on anything rational.
Making a screen is cheaper than making a keyboard. That's why manufacturers push large screens down your throat.
It might be emotional but it is utilitarian too; a screen is for viewing, a keyboard is for touching.

No need to getting senses confused!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Yes. Another reason for pushing them to the customers. As big as possible and as thin as possible. The more the customers break the more they have to come back for new ones.
Extremely cynical of you, but I think you might be onto something...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Extremely cynical of you
Middle names are not very common where I come from but if they were, "Cynical" would fit me quite well

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Some like the vicar, others like his maid. For me, the main advantage of a physical keyboard is not that it is separate from the screen. It is that you can feel the keys before you press them. A virtual keyboard on a second screen will not have that property, unless covered with some kind of bubble wrap-like transparent dome sheet.
That's true, but at the cost of manufacturing multiple versions of the device with all the wonderfully varied keyboard layouts that people from all around the world expect.

Which is probably a major reason why hardware keyboards went on the wayside in the first place, to remove the pain of having to manage all that region specific stock!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Anyone interested in the ZTE Axon M? Two screens. One screen can be used as keyboard in landscape. Apparently offered by AT&T in US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z11uL2wmLVA

EDIT: Landscape keyboard at 3:44 in video

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Anyone interested in the ZTE Axon M? Two screens. One screen can be used as keyboard in landscape. Apparently offered by AT&T in US.

I am not sure I can get my hands on it obviously the first of its kind is not perfect. But atleast it’s something new until the disc phone arrives.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
It could be possible to do keyboard with force feedback/ sensing etc. to screen like apple home key.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by mscion View Post

As far as I'm concerned, there is no way this could be a good substitute to a Livermorium and I hope Chen will soon soon share his plans for 2018 regarding this device.

However, I must admit that the video actually surprised me. I thought this would be totally useless, but in fact I think the form factor is kinda interesting. Of course it's not as comfortable as a single screen with the same screen estate due to the bezel that gets in the way, but it's a phone and it fits in a pocket, while still providing the advantages of a tablet (which in my opinion are not really obvious, except from the extra comfort when reading content). For web use, I wouldn't mind an horizontal bezel too much, and it's a non issue when multi-tasking with two applications side by side. A double-sided hinge would be nice too, so that the clam shell could be closed with screens facing inwards in those situations when you have only one pocket but also need to carry some coins/keys/whatever, thereby reducing the need for horrendous screen protectors.

In the end, the screen management software is never going to work with something else than Android unfortunately, so that will be a no-go for me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
That objection is purely emotional and not based on anything rational.
Making a screen is cheaper than making a keyboard. That's why manufacturers push large screens down your throat.
Screen as a kb is much more power hungry than a hwkb. Assuming it wouldn't have own battery, and based the fact that most Sailfish devices have some power management issues, doesn't sound like a plan at all.

In that ZTE's device, looks like there is 2 identical phones (maybe not really) connected together, so perhaps they have own batteries also.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Screen as a kb is much more power hungry than a hwkb.
As well as having other disadvantages, such as the lack of tactility.
I did not dispute that. I was merely stating that they are cheaper to produce than HWKB (no fiddly movable parts, different layout easily achieved in software...) and thus they are a preferable option for the manufacturer. Not necessarily for the user.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen